Living With Venomous Reptiles

LDMGOLD
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Living With Venomous Reptiles

Post by LDMGOLD »

All I was stating lights attract insects, that same attraction draws in some small rodents usually mice. In turn these small rodents probably attracts snakes. That is how it has been around our place for years. I don't think I said rodents eat insects, but snakes sure eat rodents in our area. On our football field a lot of mammals showed up ranging from coyotes, javelinas, rabbits, mice, etc. There something about green grass in the desert that attracts a variety of wildlife. I sure the watering of the grass has an effect also. One September in 1974 we picked up thirteen small Western Diamond Backs on the football field. (two to three foot size) To this day I am not sure somebody didn't drop them there, however we found them often enough to know they were a common visitor. Actually none of them were big enough to consume a Cottontail rabbit. In the seventies and eighties we all live on the edge of desert here. Hey guys, I have been out of this snake stuff and desert wildlife since 1997. When I retired I really retired. I saw this forum and thought I would involve myself. I sure don't intend to spread false information, so if I make a mistake please do correct me.

Tom K.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Your interaction is welcome Tom. Sometimes the printed words we send come across harshly...When in fact, if it were a face to face conversation, no offense would be perceived. Thank you for having such humility and an even temper....Those are the most important attributes among forum members.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Rep:

Since I retired I have been busier then when I was working, but of course in a different way. I really enjoy this forum about the desert. I find most of the information absolutely accurate and informative. It is much better to educate the public then destroy the wildlife. I use to see twenty or thirty rattlesnake each summer around the area, but anymore it is very rare to see one in the places I use to see many. Large Western Diamond Backs use to be common here, but I seldom see one over four feet anymore. I notice you use a hook a lot, where I used a pair of thongs. I like hooks as long as those snakes keep trying to keep their balance. I use to sack my snakes in paper bags to relocate them. That big Crotalus atrox I posted on this sight some time ago was captured down by the Gila River near Crochran about 1972. I have found some big ones in that area near the river.

Again, Terry thanks for sharing such wonderful and educational material. Your certainly a credit to Arizona and the better understanding of our unique wildlife for newcomers and residents alike.

Tom K.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I notice you use a hook a lot, where I used a pair of thongs.
I hope no one takes this out of context.... :lol:
rede2rock

Post by rede2rock »

Tom K.

Really thongs? That puts you in a whole new picture in my mind. I will not ask whose they were. That would put you in real dangerous proximity to those snakes. OOUCH!

Thom
rede2rock

Post by rede2rock »

Tom K.

Sorry!! I am positive you meant TONGS, really long ones. But had to inject some humor there. Hope Jim does not read this thread as I am sure he will get real mileage out of it.

Thom
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You'd never catch my snake in a thong!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

rede2rock wrote:Tom K.

Sorry!! I am positive you meant TONGS, really long ones. But had to inject some humor there. Hope Jim does not read this thread as I am sure he will get real mileage out of it.

Thom

Thom,

Yes I read this thread. But I am staying out of this conversation.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Nor would you catch my snake in a thong.

Tom K.
rede2rock

Post by rede2rock »

I am sorry I derailed the very enlightening conversation from before the typographical error. But the mental picture I had just had me rolling on the floor with laughter. I guess I really needed that laugh.

Tom you mentioned you have seen a decrease in snake populations. Is it because of a decrease in their food supply? Are the summers hotter now than before? What are your educated guesses?

Thom