5 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Borrego Linda
- Posts: 48
- Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:09 am
- The middle number please (4): 7
- Location: Borrego Springs, CA
This guy (or gal) came through our campsite at Oak Grove last week. The Oak Grove in San Diego County. It was fast and shook it's tail like a rattler to warn my husband off when it got tired of getting picture taken! We know it's not a rattler though! Think it's a friendly snake from the shape of it's head.
- Posts: 1366
- Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:43 pm
- anti-spam detector: No
- The middle number please (4): 4
- Location: Eastern Arizona
Otherwise known as a Western Coachwhip (red phase). The latin name has for years been Masticophis flagellum pisceus, but I think that Trad is correct in calling it Coluber as I believe the taxonomists have changed it. These snakes are not venomous but they are very pissy, I think that's where the word "pisceus" comes from.