MYSTERY DESERT TREE ?

woosan
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

MYSTERY DESERT TREE ?

Post by woosan »

I saw this tree by the road. I am having a hard time identifying it. Does anyone know what tree it is. It is near 51st Ave and the 101.
The towards the end of the branches are small leaves bunched tightly with small leaves and lots of thorns.

More pictures at link below

http://www.thirstyrock.com/Tree/Tree.html

Thanks

Ted
Last edited by woosan on Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike C.

Re: What Tree is this ?

Post by Mike C. »

Looks to me some type of Acacia. Mike C. Brea, Ca.
woosan

Re: MYSTERY DESERT TREE ?

Post by woosan »

Thanks, have been looking in the Acacias online, but do not see this one. Beginning to believe this started from seed from a meteorite or something. LOL
woosan

Post by woosan »

Have searched the net to no avail. Got me some seeds and have a few sprouting now. Since this tree has never existed apparently before, calling it Acacia Meteoritus. So now it has a name that I can post pictures on the web with for future reference by others. LOL

Off to find more plants that may be sprouting from that meteor in that vicinity.

:P
Clifford

Post by Clifford »

Can we see the seeds? Does the tree make cones or are the seeds more like a juniper?
C
woosan

Post by woosan »

Here are the seeds. Like a mesquite seeds except the outer casing is like velvet or felt feeling to the touch.

coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Could even be Texas Ebony? Some times trees grow different in other regions.
woosan

Post by woosan »

True, the seeds are the similar in color as Texas ebony except the pods are thin and narrow. Plus smaller and furry feeling. But that gives me an idea to check the net for different types of Texas Ebony. I have seeds from a Texas ebony and they are huge seed pods. This tree however has a whitish bark on branches and the branches with leaves are far apart. And the ends of the branches seem to corkscrew or twist. I went to a couple nurseries in the area and they had no idea. Hard to believe.
cerastes

Post by cerastes »

Just a guess - try looking up African Acacia species. There are so many Acacias looking oh so similar from around the world plus the chance that the tree is a hybrid. I've seen many Acacia-looking trees growing in populated areas of the desert southwest, especially in outdoor desert museums, arboretums and gardens.

I also suggest contacting the Boyce Thompson Arboretum outside of Phoenix with your excellent photos - especially of the seed pods. I'll be looking forward to the results of your research.

For decades I've been grabbing seeds during my desert travels and 'one day' will get serious and start propagating them. When you store seeds for a long time I've discovered them destroyed by exiting, adult, plant parasite insects then all I have is a container of useless seed husks, insect droppings and dead insects.

Good luck -- Danny M.
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

It's in the legume family I would assume. There are many different acacias as mentioned above. I blindly bought one from a nursery without knowing exactly what type (of acacia) it was. Nice tree, but still can't find which kind of acacia. The Boyce Arboretum is absolutely cool---they should know. Your mystery tree also looks like an Elephant Tree. Mike C. Brea, Ca.