BEWARE OF JUMPING CACTUS

thehunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

BEWARE OF JUMPING CACTUS

Post by thehunter »

I sure that most people that live in the desert are aware of the jumping cactus.I'm not sure what the true name of the plant is.instead of having. Large oval leaves it has small round balls attached in clusters.they are are are not tightly knit and if you come close the electricity in your skin will allow a cactus ball or two to jump on you you body.Don't try to take it off with your hand, it will jump to your hand..use a couple of twigs to get it off.the thorns are large, maybe one inch and it is very painful.the pain could last one night.p.s. this is not a joke
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: BEWARE OF JUMPING CACTUS

Post by Space Cowboy »

Check out the last picture on the page.
http://www.in-the-desert.com/vallecito2.html

Two years later, you can still see the marks. Mind you, the experts will melt down on you if you repeat the old wives tale that they actually jump.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Most who plays in the desert around cholla soon learns the benefits of being cautious.
That being said, I usually get splined several times during most years.
I keep readily available (top pocket of my pack) a small kit for removing cholla splines.
While cholla balls can’t jump, I’ve seen them get airborne in a strong gust of wind.
Flying cholla balls will make a coward out of most people.
I’m no exception.

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... lla#p13217

TradClimber
thehunter

Post by thehunter »

.. .I'm glad you both replied on this subject.I'm a treasure hunter, I'm in the treasure section of this network.what I worry about are toddlers they are small.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Personally I believe bees are the most dangerous organism in the American Southwestern Deserts. Teddy Bear and Chain Cholla can be very dangerous to small children and inexperienced visitors to the desert. I once came up on a hiker that had tripped and fell face first into a Teddy Bear Cholla. He had Cholla balls all over his face and one in his left eye. I don't know how doctors could have saved his left eye. This happen on trail between Garden Valley and Boulder Basin in the Superstition Wilderness. The pain was so severe the man was non-functional. We eventually got him med-vac helicopter to take to a hospital. I never did hear how he came out with the cholla ball in the eye.
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

Tom,

Hope all is well at the Kollenborn Ranch.

Dale Howard use to fall asleep coming out from his claims on Black Top. One night he was sleeping in the saddle when a rattlesnake in the trail caused his horse to rear up and fall over backward on Dale. He fell right into a bed of Cholla. That was in Garden Valley.

Dale got back in the saddle and rode all the way back, into AJ. As I was told, his horse was half Quarter Horse and half Tennessee Walker.

They just don't make them like that any more.

Take care,

Joe
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Joe, Yes Dale Howard was a man of his time. I remember one time when he cut his hand quite seriously and then wrapped a hankie around it and continue digging. He eventually had to have seven or eight stitches put in it to pull it back together again. I think all of us who met Dale Howard knew a good about how tough of a man he was and what he could endure in the mountains. What he did endure was hard to believe. Hey, hope you are feeling fine. We are still going to MD Anderson quite a bit. Sharon is doing some rehab now for her arm and the edema that becoming a bit severe. Say hi to Carolyn. We cherish our visit to your home, playing with you dog, and visiting with Carolyn. Keep in touch Friend. Tom Kollenborn
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Joe, Yes Dale Howard was a man of his time. I remember one time when he cut his hand quite seriously and then wrapped a hankie around it and continue digging. He eventually had to have seven or eight stitches put in it to pull it back together again. I think all of us who met Dale Howard knew a good about how tough of a man he was and what he could endure in the mountains. What he did endure was hard to believe. Hey, hope you are feeling fine. We are still going to MD Anderson quite a bit. Sharon is doing some rehab now for her arm and the edema that becoming a bit severe. Say hi to Carolyn. We cherish our visit to your home, playing with you dog, and visiting with Carolyn. Keep in touch Friend. Tom Kollenborn
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

LDMGOLD wrote:Joe, Yes Dale Howard was a man of his time. I remember one time when he cut his hand quite seriously and then wrapped a hankie around it and continue digging. He eventually had to have seven or eight stitches put in it to pull it back together again. I think all of us who met Dale Howard knew a good about how tough of a man he was and what he could endure in the mountains. What he did endure was hard to believe. Hey, hope you are feeling fine. We are still going to MD Anderson quite a bit. Sharon is doing some rehab now for her arm and the edema that becoming a bit severe. Say hi to Carolyn. We cherish our visit to your home, playing with you dog, and visiting with Carolyn. Keep in touch Friend. Tom Kollenborn
Tom,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. Hope Sharon is doing better and is well on the road to recovery. The times we have spent together in our home, your home, as well as our camp outs in the Bradshaws and the Rendezvous are all something that will be with us for a long, long time. :)

Once while helping Dale search the south end of Black Top, working my way through the boulders and rocks, I slipped and did a complete 360 in the air and landed on my feet. Unfortunately, I did not have the hammer loop on my Colt .45, and it fell into the rocks. More damage to my pride than the gun.

Dale was as nice as anyone I have ever met. I enjoyed my time with him.

Hope to see you folks and (my pup) Bucky :lol: before too much longer.

Take care friends,

Joe