Sonoran Gopher Snake

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Sonoran Gopher Snake

Post by reptilist »

These snakes are probably the most common species in Arizona. They get quite large, this one is close to six feet long (but skinny). They eat rodents and are harmless to humans, although they will defend themselves if frightened. Many of these are killed by people who mistake them for rattlesnakes. (How so called outdoorsmen don't know how to recognize a rattlesnake is beyond me!)

Here's one that is over six feet long and much thicker/healthier.....From a gal in neighboring NM.

Apache Devil

Re: Sonoran Gopher Snake

Post by Apache Devil »

Gorgeous snakes. It must be a pleasure to handle a healthy six-footer.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

It must be a pleasure to handle a healthy six-footer.
That's what she said!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Boy that is a pretty snake. Would have liked to have seen that one. Nice photo too! By the way your front yard looks better, really nice now.

Don....
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Yep! The "desert landscaping" is a lot better than a yard that's half full of weeds and those two leaning plum trees....No more mowing! I do feel bad about having to poison the errant grasses and weeds that pop up now and then though...
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

reptilist wrote:I do feel bad about having to poison the errant grasses and weeds that pop up now and then though...
MURDERER! :D
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

It's the well water that concerns me....Sooner or later whatever we apply to the surface leaches into the water table.
Kathy

Post by Kathy »

There is a Sonoran Gopher Snake that lives in and around my Mobile-
home and has for the last 10 years.Not sure how old snakes live to be but I know he is the same one because he had an injury to his tail when I first saw him and the scar is still there.What isn't here around the place is rodents and he is pretty fat.I named him Sir Oliver and he knows his name.He has scared me a few times by sneaking upon me and I didn't see him until he was there.The grandsons just love him and to be honest I think Sir Oliver loves them too.Now that they are older they don't come often but if its a summer visit you can bet Sir Oliver will make an appearence.I do think he lives under my Mobilehome or the one behind me.I have seen him come from under both of them. Kathy
Plays In The Dirt

reptilist wrote:It's the well water that concerns me....Sooner or later whatever we apply to the surface leaches into the water table.
In all seriousness this is very true. Other than having the inside and the outside perimeter of the house sprayed for critters that would love to share our home with us, I "Will Not" use chemical fertilizers or insecticides anywhere else on the property. I prefer using the organic methods of growing and pest control which have been quite successful. In fact you couldn't find a bottle of Sevin or any other chemical product anywhere on our property. I like the way your yard looks Terry, very low maintenance. I'd love to do something similar but time just doesn't permit these days. We're more ala-natural around here.
Plays In The Dirt

And there's something good about being natural that you would enjoy. It provides a habitat for all the critters you study and work with.