Cactus

mlv
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Cactus

Post by mlv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:25 pm

Ok, this is my first attempt to get a photo loaded to the BB, so bear with me!

This should be a photo of a cactus in bloom this past spring.

HEY, I got ot to work in the preview !!!
Last edited by mlv on Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlv

Re: Cactus

Post by mlv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Another photo of cacti in bloom:

mlv

Post by mlv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:28 pm

Another:

mlv

Post by mlv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:30 pm

One more:

reptilist

Post by reptilist » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:58 pm

I like them, especially the last ones! They look like they're blowing trumpets.

Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Nice Photos MLV, thanks for sharing.

mlv

Post by mlv » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks !

The little guys are about the size of a softball, and they prefer some shade.......this clump of 4 is sort of between my patio cover and the palm trees, so they get a dose of sun, but not a full on blast...........you can see the one to the rear which has two flower stems coming out.

I beleive these little cacti are called Echinopsis (sp?!?), they are great for potting since they sort of have a compact shape to them.

I think the biggger one with the white flowers is called a Flying Saucer (common name)......he gets big, and he sort of lays down and grows horizontal.........but he puts on one serious show a year.........then pops a few individual flowers now and then.

These are all in my yard here in the Las Vegas, NV area.

Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:11 pm

mlv wrote:Thanks !
These are all in my yard here in the Las Vegas, NV area.
It's interesting to know that you live in the Las Vegas area. My wife and I own property and a home in Overton, (I'm sure you know where that is). Currently, however, and because of the economy, I'm living and working in Eureka Nevada. Small world isn't it?

mlv

Post by mlv » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Plays: Yes, I know the Overton/Logandale area. But you have to be the only person I have ever heard of who went to Eureka, NV to find work.......regardless of economic climate !!

Never spent much time in Eureka, but a gal friend and I did spend a little time camping in Kingston, which is in the Big Smokey Valley south of either Austin or Eureka.

What's news in Eureka these days?!?!

On the 4th of July weekend, I took a day trip up to Caliente, Panaca & Pioche.........would have liked to saud to heck with the world and continued on to Ely and Great Basin NP.........but funds and work kept me on the straight and narrow!

Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:55 pm

mlv wrote:Plays: Yes, I know the Overton/Logandale area. But you have to be the only person I have ever heard of who went to Eureka, NV to find work.......regardless of economic climate !!

Never spent much time in Eureka, but a gal friend and I did spend a little time camping in Kingston, which is in the Big Smokey Valley south of either Austin or Eureka.

What's news in Eureka these days?!?!

On the 4th of July weekend, I took a day trip up to Caliente, Panaca & Pioche.........would have liked to saud to heck with the world and continued on to Ely and Great Basin NP.........but funds and work kept me on the straight and narrow!
Hi mlv, I'm a heavy equipment operator in construction and when the housing crisis hit Las Vegas I was out of a job for a year, there just wasn't nothing available. I first found a temporary job at the Nevada Northern Railway Museum in Ely. While there I got to know quite a few people and through them learned about the mining jobs. I applied, got the job, and have been working for a gold mine in Eureka ever since. Caliente is a quaint little town but I really love the mountains and pine trees in the Eureka area. I also like Ely as well, have you ever driven Success Loop? "What's news in Eureka," - GOLD

By the way, Kingston is in Lander County near Austin. I'm a member of the Austin Historical Society and am there all the time.