Brew

Re: What happened?

Post by Brew »

Hibernation?

Brew
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I just finished paying my share of the State Income Tax........way too much! And that's on top of the doubling of the registration on my recreational 4x4. Has the State returned the money to the OHV recreational funding yet? Perhaps they could use it to purchase the Rudnic lands for a new OHV recreational area.
Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Allen »

Sandman wrote:I just finished paying my share of the State Income Tax........way too much! And that's on top of the doubling of the registration on my recreational 4x4. Has the State returned the money to the OHV recreational funding yet? Perhaps they could use it to purchase the Rudnic lands for a new OHV recreational area.
As with our tax money, Sandman, we'll never again see the OHV funds the Guvernator mis-appropriated for the General Fund to narrow the deficit created by our irresponsible elected representatives.
Brew

Post by Brew »

Sandman wrote:I just finished paying my share of the State Income Tax........way too much! And that's on top of the doubling of the registration on my recreational 4x4. Has the State returned the money to the OHV recreational funding yet? Perhaps they could use it to purchase the Rudnic lands for a new OHV recreational area.
By statute, the state can "borrow" the money from the OHV Trust Fund for two years. But with the condition our state budget is in, I expect MORE money to be "borrowed" and the existing two loans extended.

Brew
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The governator has been a real bummer along with the dysfunctional state legislators. The OHV tax funds generated should go directly back to support the recreating public that use OHVs for a variety of purposes. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Brew

Post by Brew »

Sandman wrote:The governator has been a real bummer along with the dysfunctional state legislators. The OHV tax funds generated should go directly back to support the recreating public that use OHVs for a variety of purposes. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
If the anti-OHV groups (they don't qualify to be called environmental groups) would stop putting up road blocks for large land purchases, the OHV Fund money could be used in the manner that it was collected for.
At least the "borrowing" from the OHV Trust fund has not affected the Grants program or operation of the SVRAs.

The next OHMVR Commission meeting is scheduled for Feb. 25 and in San Jose.

Brew
Sal

Post by Sal »

anti-OHV groups (they don't qualify to be called environmental groups)
Now why would any group of folks be "anti OHV"?

could it be the effects of OHV's on the environment? or on the peace and sanctity of one's home?

the CBD is an environmental group, as is the Sierra Club and Wilderness Soc. COW is a homeowner's group that stands up for the rights of people to be free to enjoy their homes in security and quiet.

OHV users have proven to be out of control for over 30 years. You just can't control the effects of these riders. At some point the laws will be enforced. And as is happening in Jawbone Canyon, riders will be surprised at just how much they have been breaking the law all these years. What will be the final outcome?
Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

I've been in the Jawbone Canyon area dozens and dozens of times, for years - do you think maybe the OHV guys are NOT getting worse, but rather that the state is channeling them down into fewer and fewer places to ride?

The area is certainly not "packed with homes", and since the desert was there first before the house, I think everything that comes with desert living is what you get. You own your own property, you certainly don't own the rest of the country by virtue of buying or building a house there.

I do have an issue with the "buying" of big parcels of land by organizations - mostly because the people who come up with the funds are people like Nature's Conservacy and Sierra Club, who end up owning our public lands and throwing anybody out (in effect) who doesn't believe all their BS.

When you complain about OHVers, and prospectors, etc., just think about what you do for recreation, and then, we can make a point of prohibiting you from doing that, just because we don't like it.

If we worked things that way, no one would ever bring children to restaurants, I'd get rid of all the worthless golf courses and ski areas, and I really hate country clubs and car races. (of course, I'm being a little sarcastic - I really don't hate any of those things, I'm just saying, everybody likes what they like, and we all have to live together - whether you like it or not. If you don't like the things that come with living in the desert, do one of two things - buy it all up so nobody can trespass - or live with it.

Or, you could move away from there.

Beth (Mrs. O)
Sal

Post by Sal »

the desert was there first before the house,
it was there before the dirtbike also.
do you think maybe the OHV guys are NOT getting worse, but rather that the state is channeling them down into fewer and fewer places to ride?
The riding areas at JB were designated in 1986. Riders have been ignoring the route network and only now is BLM making an effort to force compliance.
I do have an issue with the "buying" of big parcels of land by organizations
does that apply to the hundreds of thousands of acres bought up by taxpayers for OHV play areas?

When you complain about OHVers, and prospectors, etc., just think about what you do for recreation,
OHV recreation affects everyone with noise and indelible marks on the scenery. Much of this activity is done illegally. Hikers, rock climbers, flower smellers, bird watchers don't bother others or ruin the areas with their activities.
golf courses and ski areas, and I really hate country clubs and car races
All of these areas are on private land and built with legal permits. Contrast that with the growing blight of off-road impacts.
buy it all up so nobody can trespass
there are laws against trespass, but to enforce you need to identify the culprit--impossible for riders on green sticker vehicles wearing masks.

thanks for your spirited response Mrs. O. As our population increases, so does pressure on our recreation lands. At some point heavy impacts will need to be effectively regulated.