New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

castle
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

Post by castle »

Mrs.Oroblanco wrote:Reptilist,

I will have to respectfully disagree - on whether or not it applies.
When everything becomes illegal, then, everyone will be a scofflaw.
Here is some news on the homefront:
http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... 18038/1009
Beth (Mrs. O)
Protection of our "wild values" and "avoid items conflicting with research activities." What kind of nanny state, politically correct talk is that? I'd like a diffinition of "wild Value" and if a researcher would be confused by finding a geocache, they probably need to go back to school.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Allen wrote: "In every state, there is already a method to report these illegal OHV riders and that is done by dialing 911."

Now that would be a classic case of "911 abuse" Castle is talking about. 911 is reserved for true emergencies where life and limb are at risk. A toll free reporting system allows for land use agencies to identify and verify where the actual problems exist without using precious EMS and LE resources needlessly.

In San Bernardino County, the Sheriff's dept uses reporting data to help them target areas for their roving sting operations that catch scoflaws in the act. They continue to cite these scoflaws when apprehended.
Sal

Post by Sal »

If I were a "scofflaw", (I am not one of them) in New Mexico or California, the authorities would have to catch me in the act to be able to legally write a citation or make an arrest.
by Allen

Whatever 3973 says, doesn't matter to me, since I will do as I please with my OHV and my friends OHv's on my property. It's a useless Ordinance that is meant only to intimidate and collect what funds they can.
by Allen

Seems like Allen contradicts himself when he claims not to be a scofflaw in one post, yet freely admits he will break the law in another post.
castle

Post by castle »

Sandman wrote: A toll free reporting system allows for land use agencies to identify and verify where the actual problems exist without using precious EMS and LE resources needlessly.

How do you figure that they can "identify and verify" by phone? The reporters are going to be very subjective. There will people from SAL...deleted's side that will call when they see a trailered OHV on the interstste, to people like me who arn't likely to call at all unless someone drives thru my camp and dosn't stop for a beer, or worse yet, knocks my beer over. It's another feel good law/service. It'll take boots on the ground LEO's to actually identify/verify. Save the 1-800 system expence and hire more LEOs.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Sandman wrote:Allen wrote: "In every state, there is already a method to report these illegal OHV riders and that is done by dialing 911."

Now that would be a classic case of "911 abuse" Castle is talking about. 911 is reserved for true emergencies where life and limb are at risk. A toll free reporting system allows for land use agencies to identify and verify where the actual problems exist without using precious EMS and LE resources needlessly.

In San Bernardino County, the Sheriff's dept uses reporting data to help them target areas for their roving sting operations that catch scoflaws in the act. They continue to cite these scoflaws when apprehended.

911 is the number we are told to use to report violations of the law. It is not considered "911 abuse" if that is the only manner available to inform law enforcement that a crime is being committed. Afterall, don't you and the rest of the people in your area want the law there ASAP when you have punks riding all over with no regard for personal property rights or your right to peace and quiet?

---deleted---
When I ride on my property, I am not a scofflaw, I am simply using my own personal property the way I choose to. SBCO Ord. 3973, is outside of the State Laws and Constitution. This will eventually be proven when and if someone is cited and chooses to fight it. I have not been and will not be cited for riding on my property. ---deleted---
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

It's not unusual at all for governmental agencies to use the 800 system to report violators, I see it all the time here in Nevada. Here's one: "Nevada Department of Wildlife - Report A Crime Call 1-800-992-3030." I'm not saying that it is right or wrong but that it's used quite often.
Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

There are many states who would give you a problem if you used 911 for anything but an emergency - and the folks who get to decide if its an emergency, are the people going out.

In some states - when you call 911, it does not just go to the police - where I used to emt, when a 911 call went out, police, a fire truck and an ambulance automatically went to the scene.

Meantime, back at the ranch, someone who is dying could have used those resources.

I've lived in several different states, and every single one has a non-emergency number to call. I think, if your area has a non-emergency number, use that, instead of 911.

Where I used to emt (Pennsylvania) - they charged you for that service - so, if you don't mind paying $1200.00 for the services, I guess, go ahead a call 911, hope that the violators are still there, and that you can talk the emergency services into not charging you. The non-emergency number went straight to the police station, and you could talk to them and tell them the issue. If you called 911, the call went to a dispatcher (for several towns, by the way), and went to the police, the fire department and the ambulance company (my phone- or whoever was "on" at that time), and the only person you talked to was the dispatcher.

Is driving off road an emergency?

Beth (Mrs. O)
Allen

Post by Allen »

Mrs.Oroblanco wrote:There are many states who would give you a problem if you used 911 for anything but an emergency - and the folks who get to decide if its an emergency, are the people going out.

In some states - when you call 911, it does not just go to the police - where I used to emt, when a 911 call went out, police, a fire truck and an ambulance automatically went to the scene.

Meantime, back at the ranch, someone who is dying could have used those resources.

I've lived in several different states, and every single one has a non-emergency number to call. I think, if your area has a non-emergency number, use that, instead of 911.

Where I used to emt (Pennsylvania) - they charged you for that service - so, if you don't mind paying $1200.00 for the services, I guess, go ahead a call 911, hope that the violators are still there, and that you can talk the emergency services into not charging you. The non-emergency number went straight to the police station, and you could talk to them and tell them the issue. If you called 911, the call went to a dispatcher (for several towns, by the way), and went to the police, the fire department and the ambulance company (my phone- or whoever was "on" at that time), and the only person you talked to was the dispatcher.

Is driving off road an emergency?

Beth (Mrs. O)

On more than one occasion, I've tried to obtain the local number for the Hesperia Sheriff's station to request additional patrols during vacation, I've been told by the operator to call 911. They have never provided me with a number to the local station. You or someone else may have the patience to call 411 again and ask a different operator for the number, but I don't.
I can see the Cal Trans message signs that say, "Dial 911 to Report Drunk Drivers". I don't condone Driving Under the Influence, but who's to say anybody is under the influence and is that considered an emergency before anything happens?

BTW, why is Sal's name being deleted or truncated in replys?
Last edited by Allen on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Stanley wrote:Sandman, please post the link from the official site of this. This looks like it was taken from a COW site. It doesn't make sense. "Details of violation". Average citizens know the vehicle code?

Something is fishy here. ;)
Sandman, If you had read my response you might have seen the question mark after my statement of "Average citizens know the vehicle code?" It was a question. Should I have put it in bold. Sorry to get you all worked up into a lather over a simple question.

All I wanted was an official link to the site. Jeez, you really need to lighten up.

And people wonder why there is not a lot of posting going on here.
Stanley
Allen

Post by Allen »

Stanley wrote:
Stanley wrote:Sandman, please post the link from the official site of this. This looks like it was taken from a COW site. It doesn't make sense. "Details of violation". Average citizens know the vehicle code?

Something is fishy here. ;)
Sandman, If you had read my response you might have seen the question mark after my statement of "Average citizens know the vehicle code?" It was a question. Should I have put it in bold. Sorry to get you all worked up into a lather over a simple question.

All I wanted was an official link to the site. Jeez, you really need to lighten up.

And people wonder why there is not a lot of posting going on here.
Stanley
Stanley, it's called "selective reading". LOL!!
---deleted---