Vehicle Identification Plates

Brew

Vehicle Identification Plates

Post by Brew »

At yesterdays OHMVR Commission meeting, a representative from the DMV gave a very detailed explanation of how the DMV came to the conclusion to keep the OHV ID stickers. Rider safety and places on the vehicles to put ID devices were main concerns.

Brew
Sal

Re: Vehicle Identification Plates

Post by Sal »

I think we can all agree it's political, Brew. In an age where we can send a man to the moon, we can't design a safe lic plate for a dirt bike?

Rider compliance is what it's all about. As riders continue to proliferate new trails and to ruin restored areas, SOMETHING will be done. Complete closure is all that seems to work. If there was some way to ID riders, as there is for cars for ex, there would be more reason for compliance. It's your choice :D

Sandman

Post by Sandman »

OHV violations can be tied to an individual's DMV record and this shoud be done in my opinion. Repeat offenders should be indentifed and the fines should be increased to be a real deterrent to illegal OHV use. The cost of a rolling through a stop sign in a car is around $400 for a first offense. The fines and penalties for illegal OHV use are too lax at this current time to serve as a real deterrant.

On the issue of license plates, there seems to be no problem of having a plate on a dual sport vehicle. Why is there a problem when it comes to non street legal vehicles?
Brew

Post by Brew »

Sal: "I think we can all agree it's political, Brew."

I can't agree on that. The study was done by the DMV, a neutral party. They even got input from law enforcement. It's too bad that the meeting was so far from you. I think that you would have a different attitude about the way the study was done and how they came to their conclusion.....even if you don't like the conclusion.

Brew
Sal

Post by Sal »

If OHV recreation is going to be managed, we need to confront them from both sides of the aisle on this issue.