Friends of Nevada

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Friends of Nevada

Post by yuccahead »

I didn't even know Nevada had an environmental group til I went looking for one-
Friends of Nevada Wilderness, very cool

http://www.nevadawilderness.org/
Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Friends of Nevada

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Almost every state, especially in the west, have a few organizations that want to protect the land (and control what you can do).

Here is another one for Nevada.

http://www.nvlc.org/

Our Mission: Keystone Canyon clean-up with Sierra Pacific, Girl Scouts, Keep Truckee Meadows Beautiful and Hands on Northern Nevada.
The Nevada Land Conservancy is dedicated to preserving and protecting special places and open spaces in Nevada for future generations. With the help of members, volunteers, land owners, businesses and government agencies, we protect special places through acquisition, easement, open space planning, outreach and environmental restoration

This one was easy to find - it was on the site that you posted. They are Nevada's version of Natures Conservancy. :(

Private organizations buying up and running public lands, for friends and profits.

Beth (Mrs. O)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Private organizations buying up and running public lands, for friends and profits.
The possession of which is no different than mines, cattle ranches, or even residential development projects; except the goal is preservation of our natural environment rather than the exploitation of it. I am very glad there are nature preservationists doing the good work.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep Posted:
The possession of which is no different than mines, cattle ranches, or even residential development projects; except the goal is preservation of our natural environment rather than the exploitation of it.
Well said.

TradClimber
MMM

Post by MMM »

All of the groups Yuccahead listed have one agenda. The creation of wilderness, from the friends of nevada site and I quote "Friends of Nevada Wilderness is dedicated to preserving all qualified Nevada public lands as wilderness". What are qualified public lands, again look at the site, it is just about every square inch of public land in Nevada. We can have wilderness and also have access for those who wish to recreatate using mechinized equipment. I and many like me are only asking for a fair and ballanced approach to the use of PUBLIC lands. Is that to much to ask for?

Mike
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Mrs.Oroblanco wrote:They are Nevada's version of Natures Conservancy.

This is one gripe I guess I'll never understand. It's the very basis of the American Way, the American Dream and capitalism - If you want something and can afford it then buy it and do whatever you want with it and if you make a profit then you're a good buisnessman. What's wrong with that? Ted Turner does the same thing. He owns several huge ranches all over the west and many are wildlife preserves.
I don't get it, would you rather the Saudis and Japanese buy up these same lands? If land is on the market someones going to buy it. That's America.
spiny

Post by spiny »

Very well said, YH !!!
spiny

Post by spiny »

By the way, since this board recently became a friendlier place, I've noticed that the participation has gone way up !!
MMM

Post by MMM »

Why not leave public lands PUBLIC? You do NOT need to lock up vast ammounts of public lands in wilderness to protect them. There is enough room (for now) for everyone to enjoy public lands and yes this includes responsible OHV use. But these groups have little to no desire to share the lands. It seems to me it is their way or no way.

Mike
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

"By the way, since this board recently became a friendlier place, I've noticed that the participation has gone way up !!"

It has, but mainly because the anti-access folks feel they can post without fear of attack.

I am stuck in the same boat as Mike, whereas I use a motorized vehicle as a part of my exploration. Although I do a great deal of exploring on foot, I also use a vehicle to get from one locality to another. Wilderness designation prohibits the use of mechianized equipment, even where established roads already exist. That's what we are against - the closure of established roads. Since speaking out against such closure labels us as anti-environment, we are in a tough position. Where is the middle ground?

Lee