Friends of Nevada

Sandman

Re: Friends of Nevada

Post by Sandman »

My 4x4 is my lifeline when exploring the wildlands. I agree, there needs to be a balance with access and conservation. I also enjoy rock hounding. Nevada is a prospectors paradise. It also holds some outstanding hunting and fishing opportunities. Without designated routes for access, the only way to get in is to either walk or use pack animals.
spiny

Post by spiny »

Lee,

Are you suggesting "anti-access" folks, whoever they are, should not be able to post "without fear of attack"? Why should anybody be "attacked" for having a different viewpoint, as long as that viewpoint is expressed in a civil manner?
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

LeeVW, I think your saying that we are "anti access" is a very one dimensional approach. There are public places where we don't believe vehicular transport should be allowed, get out and walk there. If you can't walk, then you can't go. Nothing elitist about that, there are lots of places I can't go, but I don't whine about it. On the contrary, I am glad that such places exist in more or less sanctity.
As for road closures out in the hills...There is nothing I like better than to walk along an old, overgrown dirt road that hasn't seen a tire track in years.
MMM

Post by MMM »

I agree that select areas need to ne roadless. However, not every inch of public lands needs to be so protected. Again i am asking for ballance. If you look at the site Yucca posted you may notice something interesting. There is really little information about the enjoyment or use of existing wilderness. Instead, all or most of the efforts of these groups is the creation of ever more wilderness. To me, this is a form of extreamest and radical enviromental thinking. Many of these groups touth that wilderness are prime areas for rock-hounding, hiking, and horse back riding, almost as thought somehow something has suddenly changed for those uses, with wilderness designation. The issue is that those exact same activities were allowed before said desigantion and just about all other uses are removed. These include resource removal (mining) mechinized access or use, power generation, or any other use not compatable with the wilderness. I do not see wilderness advocacy groups making any attempt at finding any compromise with their desiered push for massive new wilderness areas.

Mike
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Spiny,

No one should be "attacked" for posting their viewpoints. I am suggesting that some anti-access people might be more willing to post their thoughts now that some of the more vocal people have been banned.

"I think your saying that we are "anti access" is a very one dimensional approach."

Terry, I didn't say that YOU were anti-access. It doesn't sound like you enjoy that label, and I really didn't think of you that way. I define "anti-access" as any individual or group whose main intent is to ban the use of mechanized vehicles on land in which their use is currently legal. This includes any further Wilderness designations.

If an individual is anti-gun, you don't call them "pro-peace". They want to ban guns, so you call them anti-gun. To me, the same mode of thinking applies when it comes to making the use of a currently legal road illegal.

"There is nothing I like better than to walk along an old, overgrown dirt road that hasn't seen a tire track in years."

We don't really have those in the California Mojave Desert. Every single CLOSED road I have walked on has fresh tire tracks from dirt bikes and quads on it. Yes, I sometimes feel like a chump walking along a road everyone else seems to drive on, but I won't pass a Closed Route sign. I think I'm in the minority.

In closing, I'm not whining that formerly legal roads are getting closed. I am active politically and I am a member of groups who fight for legal access. I realize that talking about it on message boards accomplishes nothing. The real battle is educating people so that they realize that not ALL people who travel off-pavement are outlaws!

Lee
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Lee, I commend you for leading by example and your practice of responsible recreation. I am very thankful that the dark days of this message board are now behind us. Once again, I would like to thank Jim and all of the moderators for caring enough to maintain the high standard of decency upheld by DUSA. It's a great and informative website in my opinion
spiny

Post by spiny »

Good point. No one was banned from this board because of being "more vocal" but because of failing to meet the terms and conditions of the board's owner.
spiny

Post by spiny »

I wonder if Hannah or even Cactophile might be lured back to the now more civil board?
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Thanks, Sandman. I think you understand my frustration with land closures better than anyone. The trouble is I can see the trail proliferation and non-compliance that leads to such closures, and I don't know what I can do about it.

"I wonder if Hannah or even Cactophile might be lured back to the now more civil board?"

That would be very cool!
MMM

Post by MMM »

Ialso hate seeing road closed signs, especially when the road was reently open for use. However I will not go past said signs. I obey the laws even if I do not agree with them.

Mike