"But There's No Place To Ride"...

Plays In The Dirt

"But There's No Place To Ride"...

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Or..."I don't want to just go around in circles."Well I'm on a mission to show that there's not only plenty of places to ride but there's plenty of them that accommodate peoples recreation of choice. This morning at 5AM I was at a new location (to me) with my quad and my ever present camera. This place was a challenging ride down-in to the north end of the Valley Of Fire via the Old Overton Wash Road not far from where I live. When I got down towards the wash I was greeted with the sunlight hitting the tops of the red and white colored mountains of the Valley Of Fire. When I finally reached the wash itself it looked like a wash like you would fine anywhere but that view soon ended abruptly as it opened-up in to a display of colorful rock formations. I followed the wash for miles finally ending-up on the Logandale Trails in the next town over. It was then that I ran-in to other riders on quads - motorcycles and even a cool looking sandrail. They were all pleasant, waved as they went by, and were riding in a responsible manner. This whole area, (and there's miles of it), is a designated area that's open to to all forms of recreational vehicle - bicycle - horse - etc. The point being is that there are many areas in this state, (and others), that have places like this where you can ride for miles. Also, it's not dull and drab and offers beautiful scenery.

This is but one large area in a very big state that offers places, (a lot of them), for the OHV community to enjoy their recreation. So the next time someone trys to convince you that there's no place to ride show them this thread on DUSA. No one is going to talk me in to believing the statement that "There's No Place To Ride."

Here's a few Photos of the many that I shot:

Plays (Greg)
spiny

Re: "But There's No Place To Ride"...

Post by spiny »

Beautiful photos, PITD! And you make a valid point about the opportunities that abound.
Plays In The Dirt

spiny wrote:Beautiful photos, PITD! And you make a valid point about the opportunities that abound.
Thanks Spiny, I appreciate the compliments.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

WOW! Great Photos Greg! What a beautiful place to go OHV'ing in.

Jim
Plays In The Dirt

Jim Hatt wrote:WOW! Great Photos Greg! What a beautiful place to go OHV'ing in.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Yes it is a beautiful place to ride and it offers challenges for everyone in certain areas. I intend to possibly go back there again sometime next week as there's many trails left to explore as I only went on one of them yesterday.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Neat looking rock formations!
MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by MMM »

Excellent photos PITD.

Yes, we do have areas in which we can, at the moment, ride responsibly and legaly. My desire and hope is that we can keep those areas open to use and enjoy. I, and I am speaking for myself here, am openly concerned that there are many groups who would like nothing more than to see all, or most, public lands closed to any mechinized use. Right now less that 10% of the desert lands in Californina are open to limited use by non-street legal OHVs. I only ask that those areas are left alone. Is that to much to ask?

Mike
Plays In The Dirt

MMM wrote:Excellent photos PITD.

Yes, we do have areas in which we can, at the moment, ride responsibly and legaly. My desire and hope is that we can keep those areas open to use and enjoy. I, and I am speaking for myself here, am openly concerned that there are many groups who would like nothing more than to see all, or most, public lands closed to any mechinized use. Right now less that 10% of the desert lands in Californina are open to limited use by non-street legal OHVs. I only ask that those areas are left alone. Is that to much to ask?

Mike
Thank you for your compliments, Mike. Your desires are my desires as well as I enjoy riding back-in to areas like this for Photography. I also agree with you that there "ARE" groups such as you mention and there always will be. Whether the law makers side with them or not is something we'll see down the road. As far as California goes, hey, you are talking about California and they have a mindset of their own. This is one of the reasons I left there years ago and only look back to visit with my family. I would think that attending meetings and writing letters (polite ones) would help, it surely wouldn't hurt. I'd like to think that cooler heads will prevail and there will always be places to ride.

And no, you're not asking too much.
Sal

Post by Sal »

I, and I am speaking for myself here, am openly concerned that there are many groups who would like nothing more than to see all, or most, public lands closed to any mechinized use.
by MMM

I belong to some of those groups MMM. I have seen the damage that OHV recreation causes and I have seen that there has been NO real progress towards controlling the impacts of these scofflaw riders in the past 25 years.

Right now less that 10% of the desert lands in Californina are open to limited use by non-street legal OHVs.
by MMM

yet those same OHV's continue to ride on any vacant lands they see. There are NO workable ways to control OHV scofflaws. They can park on ANY desert lands (except wilderness) and ride all weekend and ruin prime untouched lands with no fear of retribution. IF a cop should somehow find them IF someone actually called the right number and reported them (which I have done scores of time), the riders just lie and say they own the land...end of story. Sometimes the cops ask the riders to leave--but only after they've been there all weekend and have burned 100 new trails into the ground--and then they come back next weekend or stage somewhere else and it starts all over again.

I've seen signs torn down by riders and so they avoid a ticket because the cops can't ticket them for riding where it's not posted.

If you care about nature. what's the alternative to the status quo regarding OHV impacts?
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

There are plenty of places to ride. It may require some time and effort as a result of "population" but hearing people say there is NO PLACE to ride is not correct. I raced motocross from '73 to'82. I spent my "fast riding" on the mx tracks only. Living in Los Osos Ca at the time I had MANY trails to ride on from my driveway including the sand dunes and ocean. Equestrians and hikers would share the same trails. On these trails, I treated it as "riding"---NOT racing. While camping in Owl Canyon near Rainbow Basin I will always see the folks camping with all the bikes and quads. No big deal to me as there are so many places to legally ride there. From what I have seen there for the last 20+years---there are 2 different rider types. #A takes off and actually ventures out for whatever. #B rides back and forth in the campground. Mike C. Brea, Ca.