Why Are Areas Closed Down To OHV's?

Sal

Re: Why Are Areas Closed Down To OHV's?

Post by Sal »

what you are saying is that all OHV users should display some kind of marking to identify the user.
by Stanley

That's right Stanley, thanks for the clarification.

Since riders cannot be identified there is no real pressure for them to obey the rules and a significant number of them ride off trail in inappropriate areas.

I have heard law enforcement officers say that even if you could identify the vehicle, they still couldn't ID the rider because of the helmet and face protection they wear.

So what needs to be done is to require large format license plates (or other visible ID) and require registered owners to be responsible for any and all infractons committed by the vehicle.

Perhaps if meaningful penalties for illegal riding were imposed, it might cut down on these offences. Once it could be shown that OHV riding can be controlled, the public might support opening additional areas to this recreation. As it stands, only full closure seems to have any effect at all on the OHV public.
MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by MMM »

sal we have been down this very same road so many times in the 10 or so years I have been posting it is not even funny. Long ago we (the majority of OHV owners) agreeded that we would accept just about any sized plate if it would stop closures. The plate is not really the issue is it sal? I asked you directly exactly how much land you have seen harmed by OHV use. That was ignored. sal, you have the right to post your feelings,. I have the right to disagree with them.

Mike
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

If you read back on these posts, Mike and Sal, you might notice that NEITHER side wants to give an inch. One side wants to ride, the other side doesn't want any off-roaders.

Beth (Mrs.O)
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

If you don't like OHVs around you when you're in the desert, just head out Mon-Thurs or wait until summer when they are all afraid because "it's too hot". Works for me!
Sal

Post by Sal »

I didn't quite understand your question, MMM. Like how many acres damaged by OHV's have I personally seen? It's in the tens of thousands. Just look at the pictures we have posted here over the past few years. Those alone add up to tens of thousands of acres.

I appreciate your willingness to display a license plate, MMM. It's got to go further than that. All conscientious OHV'ers need to actively support the requirement for OHV's to have a visible plate and to be held responsible for all actions done on the vehicle registed to them.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Ahhhhh......beating that ol dead horse again.......and it's still alive!

Now is the time to get on out and enjoy the desert. It's an other incredible wildflower year and the weather is not too hot yet. Enjoy !
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

You got that right, Sandman! Instead of complaining behind the keyboard, I was relaxing behind the wheel last weekend. Highs in the mid-eighties, lows in the low forties, slight breeze.

http://dsb.yuku.com/topic/2644/t/Barsto ... ml?page=-1

I would have been out there again right now, but the low temperatures and high winds don't appeal to me, especially since there is no way to get out of it when all you have is a little dune buggy!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Yes, today was a little on the cool side for a ride in the Manx. The wildflowers are peaking between 3500-4500' right now. Unfortunatly, I'm noticing way too much new route proliferation in this area with illegal MC hillclimbing being the primary problem. What Mmmike is describing as a pimple is more accuratly called a really bad case of acne around these parts. I'm hearing that LE is writing more tickets these days but the sheer number of illegal riders are overwhelming their efforts. We now have irrepairable damage on the hills above Arrastra Falls with severe erosion from the winter rains and the hillclimb is as wide as the northbound interstate 15! It's visable from several miles away.

This is exactly why areas get closed down!
MMM

Post by MMM »

Again, sandman I fully understand your feelings. People who do what you describe must be stoped. We are on the same pages there. I must also continue by saying that damage like this, however bad, is LOCALIZED. It is NOT normal nor typical for the entire desert. If the damage were as large as sal says, (tens of thousands of acres) then more people would be outraged. The only way ten of thousands of acres as used is if you include legal open riding areas. Even the photos of heavly rutted hillsides normally only show maybe 10 to 20 acres of land. Localized damage is indeed more of a rash that a pimple. It is ugly and really notaceable. But please take a deep breath step back and look at the desert completely. It is a big place and about 99% of it is untouched, undamaged and clean. To me closing off more areas is not the answer. Go after with all the laws full weight against those who harm the lands, but also allow the majority of us to enjoy what is left. Thank you.

Mike
Sal

Post by Sal »

If the damage were as large as sal says, (tens of thousands of acres) then more people would be outraged.
by MMM

from this quote, MMM, I assume that you consider me to be a liar and OHV damage to be minimal and frivolous. As word and proof of OHV impacts gets out to people who vote and write letters, the reaction is universal--do something to protect our landscapes and wildlife from OHV's!

As anyone who visits the desert can see, OHV impacts are deep and they are increasing. Refer to the photos posted here over time. Many of the impacts in CA are not easily visible from nearby freeways, so they do not register on the consciousness of drivers riding by.

If you are worried about losing more ground for riding, you will carefully evaluate your role in the struggle. Denying the significance of OHV impacts on a website is not going to win you any battles IMO.