Desert Racing Accident

Plays In The Dirt

Desert Racing Accident

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I was listening to the news today and heard where there was a tragic racing accident in the california desert that killed (8) people and injured a bunch of others. I don't know the details but if it's true I feel very sorry for the families of those who were killed and injured. Anyone have the details on this?
Plays In The Dirt

Re: Desert Racing Accident

Well instead of doing what I should have done in the first place I looked it up. Here's the link to the story if you haven't heard about it: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/08/15/de ... ia-desert/
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

I saw a video clip. Those people are like only a couple of feet from those trucks! That ain't safe!
:roll:
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Rep, you got that right. It wasn't the drivers fault. The spectators have no clue. You can't fix stupid.
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

So I just watched the brief dialogue orchestrated on Fox News (the local affiliate KTTV) between Marty Fiolka and Tom Budlong.

Only three things are clear to me:

Carlos Amezcua is an idiot.

Fiolka did point out that the race was held on public lands paid for with taxpayer dollars.

Budlong repeated the statement, twice, that the desert is a quiet, peaceful, non-violent place.

Neither "side" was really prepared to be on an "instant" public forum such as this. I do support the Sierra Club, but obviously Budlong has never seen a rattler eat a Kangaroo Rat. Fiolka seemed a bit out of his element, but seemed sincere. Budlong clearly cares about the desert, but looked like he was about to die.

I didn't come away with any real sense of the complexity and depth of the debate over motorized recreation on public lands in the California deserts, but, hey, it is after all Fox News, and neither guest was given enough time to put a coherent sentence together with Amezcua butting in.

If I had my way we'd keep motorized recreation and ban young males with shaved heads wearing plaid shorts.

Of course, I'm just old and mean. And getting older and meaner.

My prayers go out to all those who are touched by this tragic accident.

Desertroad
Sal

Post by Sal »

My prayers go out to all those who are touched by this tragic accident.
Amen.
Plays In The Dirt

This morning they were reporting on the (radio) news that questioned whether this could put an end to desert racing. I certainly hope not as people who enjoy this recreation need their place to play. However, it may put an end to whomever it was that put-on that event. From what I understand it was their responsibility to see that people were safe, something that they obviously did not do. The lawsuits are going to be horrendous even though those spectators were not using their heads. I agree - there's no cure for stupid!
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I would hold the race promoter liable.
From what I saw, reasonable precaustions were not taken to protect the crowd.
Plays In The Dirt

reptilist wrote:I would hold the race promoter liable.
Yes, Terry and I'm sure they ultimately will be. My heart goes out to the families of those who were injured and killed, but part of the blame, (I feel), lies on their shoulders as well. It's really sad that all traces of common sense and the ability to reason seems to have been lost on a lot of people anymore. That, of course, will not be taken in to consideration in a court of law.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Rep posted:
Unfortunately, government is more than willing to protect you from yourself. Are you willing to pay the price of freedom?

TradClimber