Saber Tooth Cats?

Sandman

Saber Tooth Cats?

Post by Sandman »

Believe it or not,not 40 miles from where BLM Barstow field Office Management sits is a blast from the past. Saber Tooth Cat and mastadon seletons from the miocine era lay under the soft desert soil. Check out Rainbow Basin for something a little different. The campground at Owl Canyon is pretty nice. Just remember to leave the OHVs at home and save em for another trip to our beautiful desert.
Sandman

Re: Saber Tooth Cats?

Post by Sandman »

Vertibrate fossils and archeological cultural sites are protected by law. Areas holding pre historic cultural resources are being degraded by illegal OHV use. One such area is located within a couple of miles from my property. Desipte chronic damage from illegal ohv use, the ACEC located in the Juniper Sub Region is still being degraded by defiant motorcycle riders who refuse to obey the law. Despite being fully aware of the ongoing problem, the current Barstow BLM field manager, Roxie Trost, has failed to protect this irreplacable pre-historic resource. Despite being provided with photographic evidence of the perpetrators in action, the damage continues. Concerned citizens have to wonder why Roxie continues to turn a blind eye to this criminal action perpetrated by illegal motorcycle riders. One only has to look at where Roxie was employed prior to Barstow. This district manager was formerly employed by the BLMs El Centro district. The El Centro district is home to the popular Glamis OHV area! Could it be she is catering to the special intrests of the OHV crowd at the expense of priceless cultural resources within a BLM designated Area of Critical Environmental Concern? Is illegal OHV use within this area a "done deal"? Attempts to close and fence off illegal trails have been destroyed by these illegal riders. Most OHV users I have met are upstanding citizens and do not condone this kind of behavior. Why is this handful of illegal riders from the nearby Victor Valley exempt from the law that applies to us all?I have no issues with those who ride respectfully, but these illegal riders should be held accountable in my opinion!
Brew

Post by Brew »

Has anyone asked Roxie Trost what actions she has taken so far or what is limiting her from taking additional actions?

Brew
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Hey Brew, one of the big mistakes I made in the past was saying derogatory things about district 37 AMA groups. I know now they are very concerned about issues such as this. I wholeheartedly apologise for my ignorance. I did attend a closed door meeting with the BLM that also included people from the California Dept of Parks and Recreation off highway motor vehicle recreation division such as John P. and Kelly C. Photos of the perpetrators in action were given to interested parties present at the meeting. The San Bernardino National Forest also has an intrest as the perpetrators cut fences allowing not only OHV trespass into the Deep Creek non motorized vehicle area, but also cattle from the lease on bordering BLM lands to stray into USFS habitat for several endangered species. This is serious business and I would suggest that the BLM take the issue a little more seriously. If I can spend a couple of hours obtaining photos,the Barstow BLM can surely catch a couple of these scumbags and give em the maximum fine to make an example out of em.This might just send a message to the others and end this behavior. These riders aint quittin and neither are me and my friends until justice is served.
Dan

Post by Dan »

Just so everyone is aware, there are legal routes in Rainbow Basin for OHVs, both green and red sticker. THe protocol is the same as in any limited use area, where the only legal trails are the ones marked open. It can be very scenic there, and there are ways to connect to the back side of Cuddyback/Fremont Peak to the northwest. It's a bit of a haul, so make sure you have the range and plenty of supplies, fuel, and especially water. Let someone know where you are planning to go, ahead of time.
Ghost
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Ghost »

Thanks for the interest in saving those sites Sandman. Good idea to document the vandals.
In our little neck of the Arizona/Mexico border there are alleged mastodon fossils just under the surface along Forest Road 61 just north of Lochiel, AZ. The road is paved for about 50 yards, word has it that mastodons are under the asphalt.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Another interesting area where many fossils have been found has some dang good fishin too! Diamond Valley, Lake Perris, and Skinner.Somewhere east of highway 395. Well....that covers a little territory. Just keep on going south and east, it gets better and better. The excavations for the dams uncovered most of them.