Breaking Gates Down

LeeVW

Breaking Gates Down

Post by LeeVW »

Looks like off-roaders aren't the only ones breaking down barriers and going off trail!

http://palmdesert.patch.com/articles/au ... rind-trail

Lee
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Breaking Gates Down

Post by yuccahead »

People are the same. The arrogance/ignorance factor is always present to rationalize a reason why a rule or law or closed gate doesn't apply to them.
-Bighorn are adaptable, let them move.
-I never see sheep up here (therefore they don't exist?)
-Money is the reason for the gate, not wildlife.
Hikers, mtn. bikers or OHV - it doesn't matter, if they can't see or understand the reason for the closure, they're going through it.
LeeVW

Re: Breaking Gates Down

Post by LeeVW »

You're right, yuccahead. I also thought those comments were idiotic. When I heard that the area was used by the sheep for lambing, I immediately thought to myself that maybe that would be an area we should leave alone.

"Hikers, mtn. bikers or OHV - it doesn't matter, if they can't see or understand the reason for the closure, they're going through it."

Too bad "obeying the law" isn't reason enough. I hate seeing closures of any kind, but I respect them nonetheless. In the case of the closure for the sheep, I agree with it. In many of the Wilderness designations, I can see a mixture of justified and arbitrary closures. I think that's due to the fact that Wilderness designation has a minimum size requirement, making it necessary to include more land than would otherwise be needed.

Anyway, back on topic, I agree that arrogance/ignorance plays a large part in all non-compliance of this nature. We are living in the Age of Entitlement, and many people will take what they want or do what they want regardless if whether it's right or wrong. The usual end result in cases such as this is total closure. We'll see how it turns out.

Lee