Do You Think This Would Work?

Iggy1
The middle number please (4): 7

Do You Think This Would Work?

Post by Iggy1 »

I really can't say yes or no, but it would be great if it did work. Please take the time to read the info on it. (Solar Power And Water)
I'll get Desert Cruiser to put up a photo that we took today while on our way fishing.
http://www.solarpowerandwater.com/
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Do You Think This Would Work?

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Here's the photo Iggy wanted posted of the solor power pond we found on the way to the Gila River near Welton, AZ.

Don....
Brew

Post by Brew »

There is nothing in the article that explains HOW the ponds generate power or fresh water. Hocus-Pocus ??

Brew
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Brew wrote:There is nothing in the article that explains HOW the ponds generate power or fresh water. Hocus-Pocus ??

Brew
Brew, I think if you were to click on this link: "Solar Power&Water System" on the web site it explains a little about how it works. Maybe not in detail but a little about it anyway.
Brew

Post by Brew »

I did read through the various links. They talk about the brine solution, an expander, steam ( no mention of how that is generated ), a generator, but I didn't see any explanation of the process.
Abra-Cadabra!

Brew
Pharo

Post by Pharo »

It looks to me that a chemical process pulls the salts out of the water and CO2 out of the air with electricity being a byproduct. Or did I read that correctly?

But this leaves me with a lot of questions;

#1 the link says sea or gulf water could be used. But how much energy would be needed to move water from the sea to the location of the solar pond? If the pond is below sea level then gravity could do the job but I know of very few areas below sea level. Death Valley comes to mind but I highly doubt it would be allowed. Also the Great Salt Lake is also a good place but once again I doubt it would be allowed there ether.

Any place above sea level would require energy to the move the sea water to it and any place arid (dry lakes with a lot of mineral deposits) would require pumping in ground water. Both would require energy (and money) which would cut into actual energy output. The net gain would have to be high for these ponds to break even or make a profit.

#2 the article says the process removes these mineral salts from the water. As the water gets fresher how much does energy production drop off?

#3 what kind of upkeep do these ponds need? What happens to the discarded material? Is it dangerous or toxic?

#4 what impact would a bunch of new salt and later, fresh water lakes have on the desert?

Just wondering,

PBiZ
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Pharo: Those are all good questions and I myself wondered the same thing. It seems to me they meant the ground water being salty, as it really is that area near Welton Arizona. And to keep the pond full they did have ground water pump running. We saw that as we went by upper area of the pond. Two motorhomes were there with Ca. tags on them. The Wellton water & electric district may have been snowed to get them anty up for most of the costs, but then again they've been in business for quite a while.

I also wish their web site had more detail, as it seemed kinda vague to me. We were hopiing maybe someone else here had heard of this and had more info...

Don....
Pharo

Post by Pharo »

DC and Iggy, these are the kind of topics I've been waiting for so please keep them coming. As with all "Desert Environmental and Land Uses" topics there will enviably be some controversy and maybe even some heated debate. But hey, that's part of why we all come here isn't it?

While OHV access is important to me, it's the social interaction and intellectual stimulus that keeps me coming back.

One last thing I do have to wonder about. If this process basically turns a lake into a giant battery, who would be crazy enough to get in a boat on that lake? But that would have to happen as part of the maintains plan wouldn't it?

Later man,

PBiZ
Brew

Post by Brew »

Pharo wrote: One last thing I do have to wonder about. If this process basically turns a lake into a giant battery, who would be crazy enough to get in a boat on that lake? But that would have to happen as part of the maintains plan wouldn't it?
PBiZ
I don't think that they are trying to turn the lake into a battery. They mention steam and a generator.

I did a Google search and the only information I found on them is their own web site. hmmmmm?

Brew
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Thanks for bringing subjects of this type to our attention, Iggy.

As Tommy noted in another thread, the squabbles that have dominated this forum will likely be soon eclipsed by more pressing concerns necessitating cooperation in lieu of competition.

EZ