Do You Think This Would Work?

MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Do You Think This Would Work?

Post by MMM »

Great post and thread. I do suggest you go to the site and read what one person proposes for the salton sea. Interesting ideas.

Mike
Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Pharo »

Brew wrote:
Pharo wrote: One last thing I do have to wonder about. If this process basically turns a lake into a giant battery, who would be crazy enough to get in a boat on that lake? But that would have to happen as part of the maintains plan wouldn't it?
PBiZ
I don't think that they are trying to turn the lake into a battery. They mention steam and a generator.

I did a Google search and the only information I found on them is their own web site. hmmmmm?

Brew
I don't know for sure Brew, but here is what I've deduced so far. I figure the steam is to push CO2 through the membrane we see on the surface of the lake. This somehow binds CO2 to the mineral salts in the water causing what the sites calls "carbonation". In this exchange I figure an electron is given up as electrical current and sent down the membrane we see on the surface of the lake. So a north and south (positive and negative) terminal must tie into the membrane maze floating on the lake.

This would essentially turn the lake into a battery not to dissimilar from how a car battery works. In this process (removing salt or PH) the water would become acidic and might leave some nasty gases floating on the surface of the lake. But it also means electric current is running through the membrane on the surface of the lake. And if a fellow were to bridge the north and south ends (+ and -) as he fell out of the boat, he might become quite a spectacular big blue arc.

But that’s just my humble high school understanding of physics. I hope someone has more answers because I sure have a lot more questions.

Later man,

PBiZ
Pharo

Post by Pharo »

But I could be all wet. Here is a link to how a solar pond works. The problem is the last part (the most important part) is in German and there is no mention of "carbonation". So I'm still a bit confused.

http://www.green-trust.org/solarpond.htm

Another link,

http://www.worldofenergy.com.au/factshe ... ponds.html

Hey DC did you see any signs of a fence going up around the lake? I ask because the second link says they need to pervent wind blowing across the surface for it to work correctly.

Later,

PBiZ
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desert Cruiser »

No fence Pharo just a polypropylene yellow rope on some 3 ft high 2x3 stakes. There is a 6 ft high embankment around the pond though.

Don....
Brew

Post by Brew »

Ok, now the light goes on.
Pharo wrote:But I could be all wet. Here is a link to how a solar pond works. The problem is the last part (the most important part) is in German and there is no mention of "carbonation". So I'm still a bit confused.
No need to read Deutche. There are two separate fluid circuits. One runs through the hot salt brine and picks up heat. The fluid travels through a heat exchanger. The other side of the heat exchanger has a low boiling point fluid pumped through it. That fluid boils and the steam spins the turbine. The turbine is connected to the generator which makes the electricity. The fluid comes out of the turbine and is condensed and ready to make another trip.
Hey DC did you see any signs of a fence going up around the lake? I ask because the second link says they need to prevent wind blowing across the surface for it to work correctly.
PBiZ
The plastic material on top of the ponds keeps the water stable/still. Any movement in the water will upset the stratification.

Brew
Iggy1

Post by Iggy1 »

Thanks Brew for clarifying this.
I'm still wondering if this is feasible cost wise.
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Iggy wrote:Thanks Brew for clarifying this.
I'm still wondering if this is feasible cost wise.
At first glance, solar ponds may have limited generating capacity and lack dependability, limiting them to serving as augmentation for other sources.

Of course, I'm just speculating. :)

EZ
castle

Post by castle »

After reading through this thread, I just wonder how much power you'll get at what cost to the rate payer. I also heard that Obama said that it would be OK for Iran, and I think N. Korea too, to have nuclear power generating capabilities. Why is he opposed to the US having nuclear power, but wants us to try all this untested Green Power? Who's side is he on?
Pharo

Post by Pharo »

Brew wrote:Ok, now the light goes on.

No need to read Deutche. There are two separate fluid circuits. One runs through the hot salt brine and picks up heat. The fluid travels through a heat exchanger. The other side of the heat exchanger has a low boiling point fluid pumped through it. That fluid boils and the steam spins the turbine. The turbine is connected to the generator which makes the electricity. The fluid comes out of the turbine and is condensed and ready to make another trip.

The plastic material on top of the ponds keeps the water stable/still. Any movement in the water will upset the stratification.

Brew
I did pick up on that but how does this reduce CO2? Is he saying it will indirectly? The more I read about it the more it starts to look like a dog and pony show. His writing style also kind of reminds me of a used car salesman I once knew. I could be wrong but I don't think I would invest any of my money in this. It just doesn't seem like a good investment to me. And that is what his web site seems to be after.

Later,

PBiZ
Ken@WonderValley

Post by Ken@WonderValley »

Here is a proven way to produce energy with water and the water level never goes down. I may try this soon

Each gallon saved helps to produce energy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS3764DmIP4