Water in the desert

Sandman

Re: Water in the desert

Post by Sandman »

Yep, thats the way you drill em. I too am blessed with water from deep in the earth. The top well is pumped from 300' via solar. It too comes from the rock on the top part of my acreage. Gravity flows. The lower well is down 160' with the water at 86'. It pumps via 110/220. That one pumps @ 18gpm. No drawdown after handwatering 80 trees all day. Got em all on drip/solar now. What a relief! Keep the water flowin my friend. I hope you get on up into the wildlands of Nevada soon b'fore it gits too warm. Somewhere north of Tonapah. Did you mention Belmont? Oh ship, I'm gittin way off course. The Monitor Valley south of Austin is a good road too. Lots to see up that way. Enjoy!
MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by MMM »

Many thanks sandman. It has been a while sence I have had the chance to go to Nevada. Not enough time or money, lol. I love the areas near Tonapah, especially east of there. Oh the old hotel recently sold for an amazing $200,000 and the new owners are going to fix up the place, planning on spending arounf $500,000 to do it. Should be nice. I also like riding near Mina, and Middle-Gate. So many places to explore and so little time.

Our well is about 600 feet deep and the water level is around 165 feet down. Even in the harshest drought the water table went down only 6 inches. There are about 40 homes on the system. We recieved over 40 inches of rain/snow this year so our recharge is up to par. We installed a standby generator for fire use when the power goes out (and it always goes out during a fire) so we can keep pumping. Not sure what the wells recharge rate is, but it is decent. I do not water much as all my trees and plants are native and do quite well on their own. No grass here.

Really bad fire in eastern Arizona. Looks like the entire sky island is going to burn.

Mike
Teufel_Hunden

Post by Teufel_Hunden »

i read one of the earlier posts that off roading drained the aquafer. that is not true. the cities drain the water tables far faster than any ohv. look at what L.A. is doing to the bishop area.
Sal

Post by Sal »

i read one of the earlier posts that off roading drained the aquafer
the assertion was that off-roading contributes to rainwater runoff, preventing the water from soaking into the aquifer. Anyone with two eyes can see that this is what happens when OHV tracks run up a hill. The rainwater rolls off the hill in the vehicle ruts instead pf soaking into the ground, forms pools and evaporates back into the air instread of watering the desert vegetation upon which the wildlife depend for survival.

The purchase of water rights in the Owens valley by the City of LA is another matter entirely.
MMM

Post by MMM »

Still waiting for an applogy sal.

Mike
Teufel_Hunden

Post by Teufel_Hunden »

Sal wrote:
i read one of the earlier posts that off roading drained the aquafer
the assertion was that off-roading contributes to rainwater runoff, preventing the water from soaking into the aquifer. Anyone with two eyes can see that this is what happens when OHV tracks run up a hill. The rainwater rolls off the hill in the vehicle ruts instead pf soaking into the ground, forms pools and evaporates back into the air instread of watering the desert vegetation upon which the wildlife depend for survival.

The purchase of water rights in the Owens valley by the City of LA is another matter entirely.
i can show you 10 hills here in yuma that will prove you wrong. then i can show you flash floods that come off hills where no ohvs have ever been. ever.
by chance do you live in the desert? i do and i can tell you you're wrong on the above reply. i want to know how rainwater runs off the desert floor?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FXvgO-i0xA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U4NyUuJ ... re=related
and this last one is here in yuma. this wash is far older than any ohv. watrt run off isnt because of off roading...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VgR9ugADuQ
L.A. never purchased anything. the state of california just took the water.
MMM

Post by MMM »

Currently there are 3 fires burning in Arizona. The wallow fire is close to 410,000 acres with only 5% conatinmant. The Horseshoe 2 fire is close to 130,000 acres. When the Monsoons come, and they will, you better not be anyway near those burn areas. All hell is going to break loose with theflash flooding that will come as a result of the burn offs. These areas are mostly wilderness with ZERO OHV use. Again I am not in any way a supporter of illegal or rogue OHV riding, in fact hit any rogue or illegal OHV rider hard. But having said that, the flash flooding that will come as a direct result of these fires is going to be somthing to behold. I predict major washout of roads, major mud and debries flows and worse.

Mike
Sal

Post by Sal »

L.A. never purchased anything. the state of california just took the water
HI Teufel. THe above quote is patently wrong.

I would say if you're wrong about your history, you could be also wrong on your geology.

I do live in the desert and I specifically referred to water runoff caused by OHV tracks on hills, but anywhere there is even a slight grade you will see the same thing.

There are many scientific studies backing up what anyone can see after a rain in the desert. THe water runs off the hills in the ruts,(now deep furrows)collects in puddles and is evaporated.
Brew

Post by Brew »

Sal wrote:
There are many scientific studies backing up what anyone can see after a rain in the desert. THe water runs off the hills in the ruts,(now deep furrows)collects in puddles and is evaporated.
Sal, why doesn't the rain water soak into the ground below the ruts? The surface crust has already been broken, making it easier for the water to penetrate to subsurface.

Brew
MMM

Post by MMM »

Sadly I must accept the fact sal either can not or will not admit he slandered me and told lies about me. I can not respect nor condone his actions and words in this forum. No matter how much others may respect sal, I can not. Not untill he retracts his lies and slander about me.

As far as water just evaporating from standing pools, this is plain stupid. Unless the temps are high, like over 100, most of the water left in poools are absorbed into the ground. Want proof? Go to any pool of water and see if the ground under that pool is wet. If it is, the ground is absorbing water.

Mike