Protected lands in the US

babymick1
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Protected lands in the US

Post by babymick1 »

So Sagebrusher and Sal;

So if you and I go bankrupt they take and sell all our stuff and thats fair, But State and Federal goverments should be exempt from any and all.

What-a-crock you two brew

Babymick1
D T

Post by D T »

babymick1 wrote:Not Really
I'd just buy it.

Babymick1
Im embarrassed for you
rockdude

Post by rockdude »

Sal wrote:access is not denied only regulated. Because there are so many illegal incursions by motorized recreationists, the lands cannot be said to be protected.

When the method of access destroys the very thing that makes the land attractive to visitors (wildlife, scenery, silence, fresh air), it is right to limit access by that method.
Really Sal, where I go there's no one around for many miles. In fact the last time I was out I parked outside the wilderness and hiked 6 miles in. On the way out a helicopter from a distant circled around my truck, my brother and I and then took off right where it came from. I wonder what it cost? Not cheap I'm sure. They could open some roads, keep their limits and allow the older generations to enjoy the desert. Some people just like to sit at home watching the boob tube and think 'that was a wonderful trip we just saw'.
Not me brother. I'll probably die out there and if people like you have their way that will be sooner then I planned.
Reziac

Post by Reziac »

Shinny03

Post by Shinny03 »

MMM wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:30 am I keep hearing how "little" land is being protected in the US. Protected lands include, but are not limited to wilderness, national parks, perserves and many other designations. According to Wikipedia, a lot of lands is in fact in some kind of protected status. How much?

Lets look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protected_ ... ted_States crédit

The protected areas of the United States are managed by an array of different federal, state, tribal and local level authorities and receive widely varying levels of protection. Some areas are managed as wilderness, while others are operated with acceptable commercial exploitation. As of 31 January 2008 (2008 -01-31), according to the United Nations Environment Programme, the U.S. had a total of 6,770 terrestrial nationally designated (federal) protected areas. These protected areas cover 2,607,131 km2 (1,006,619 sq mi), or 27.08 percent of the land area of the United States. This is also one-tenth of the protected land area of the world. The U.S. also had a total of 787 National Marine Protected Areas, covering an additional 627,830 km2 (242,410 sq mi), or 67 percent of the total marine area of the United States. In addition, the World Commission on Protected Areas' 2009 database has over 10,480 protected areas listed for the U.S., including the state level protected areas.

I think this is enough.

Mike
Ok this is so interesting, thank you very much