It's All About Attitude And Your Choices

Plays In The Dirt

It's All About Attitude And Your Choices

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Off topic - I agree, but with so much attitude on this forum perhaps living your life more like John may bring about the needed changes here. Do I feel that reading it will change anyone's attitude, I have hopes. But don't just read it - think about it when you write your next post. You don't have to alter your position on issues, just your attitude.

John is the kind of guy you love to hate. He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say. When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, 'If I were any better, I would be twins!'
He was a natural motivator.
If an employee was having a bad day, John was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.
Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up and asked him, 'I don't get it!'
'You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?'
He replied, 'Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or...you can choose to be in a bad mood
I choose to be in a good mood.'
Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or...I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.
Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or...I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life.
'Yeah, right, it's not that easy,' I protested.
'Yes, it is,' he said. 'Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people affect your mood.
You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live your life.'
I reflected on what he said. Soon hereafter, I left the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.
Several years later, I heard that he was involved in a serious accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower.
After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, he was released from the hospital with rods placed in his back.
I saw him about six months after the accident.
When I asked him how he was, he replied, 'If I were any better, I'd be twins...Wanna see my scars?'
I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what had gone through his mind as the accident took place.
'The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my soon-to-be born daughter,' he replied. 'Then, as I lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or...I could choose to die. I chose to live.'
'Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?' I asked.
He continued, '...the paramedics were great.
They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a dead man'. I knew I needed to take action.'
'What did you do?' I asked.
'Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me,' said John. 'She asked if I was allergic to anything 'Yes, I replied.' The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply. I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity''
Over their laughter, I told them, 'I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead.'
He lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude...I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully.
Attitude, after all, is everything.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
After all today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
LeeVW

Re: It's All About Attitude And Your Choices

Post by LeeVW »

Great post, PITD! I agree with the message, but I couldn't get one thing out of my head while I was reading it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ

Lee
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

LeeVW wrote:Great post, PITD! I agree with the message, but I couldn't get one thing out of my head while I was reading it:

Lee
That's priceless Lee, thanks for sharing.
Dan

Post by Dan »

I try to separate my DUSA mood from everything else. It actually works. Sort of like changing clothes when I'm finished working for the day, just a conscious effort to have that one thing which reboots your mood when finished reading and posting here seems to do it. Otherwise, after trading posts with Sal, S@ndman, and EZRider, a guy could really be ready to fling himself off a tall building, there's so much cynicism and acrimony.

I do admit, in a way, there is a small level of catharcism in handing them back a bucketload of opposition. But mostly, the reason I'm here is that if no one sticks up for the OHV recreationist, we simply get run into the ground politically. That's not a lot of fun.

So, sometimes, you just have to experience the Monty Python sense of humor. Thanks, Lee.
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Dan wrote: After trading posts with Sal, S@ndman, and EZRider, a guy could really be ready to fling himself off a tall building, there's so much cynicism and acrimony.

I do admit, in a way, there is a small level of catharcism in handing them back a bucketload of opposition.
I make a point of being neither bitter nor cynical when I post in this forum. Bitter and cynical posts are marked by anger, hatred, and name-calling.

This board is not intended as a medium for personal cartharthis. Rather, it is a forum for discussion of land use issues. There are other venues for venting personal and political frustrations.

EZ
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

LeeVW wrote:Great post, PITD! I agree with the message, but I couldn't get one thing out of my head while I was reading it:

Lee
Thanks for resurrecting the bright side, Lee & PITD.

Leave it to you and Monty Python to give us the Lord's message on this Good Friday!

EZ
Dan

Post by Dan »

EZRider wrote:
Dan wrote: After trading posts with Sal, S@ndman, and EZRider, a guy could really be ready to fling himself off a tall building, there's so much cynicism and acrimony.

I do admit, in a way, there is a small level of catharcism in handing them back a bucketload of opposition.
I make a point of being neither bitter nor cynical when I post in this forum. Bitter and cynical posts are marked by anger, hatred, and name-calling.

This board is not intended as a medium for personal cartharthis. Rather, it is a forum for discussion of land use issues. There are other venues for venting personal and political frustrations.

EZ

Does this NOT describe almost every single one of your posts?:
cyn·i·cism (sn-szm)
n.
1. An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others.

Truth be known, DUSA is intended as a medium for Digital West Media to boost revenue and create profits and income. The reason they can do this, is because many individuals find it valuable for any number of their own reasons.

As for this board, one of the reasons DUSA exists is specifically for expression of one's own opinions, which for most people is an excellent medium, especially when they have been on the receiving end of incessant unfair political attacks for decades, with no recourse. The internet gives all a chance to voice their concerns in public without having to be a millionaire or media mogul, and provides one outlet for the truth to seep its way out to the rest of the population. In that way, it is most certainly intended to be a cathartic medium. It may not be your reason, but it undoubtedly is for some.

Remember, EZ: just because you are capable of saying it, and DUSA actually provides you a place to say it, doesn't make it fair, correct, or the truth.
Brew

Post by Brew »

cyn·i·cism (sn-szm)
n.
1. An attitude of scornful or jaded negativity, especially a general distrust of the integrity or professed motives of others.
After I started reading this post, I had to scroll back up to see which side made this comment as it could fit many of the posts.

Brew
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

PITD,

This thread you initiated has so much to say. In my line of work I have seen the power of positive energy work to promote healing time and time again. In 2000, I went through a year of chemotherapy treatments and have been in remission every since. The glass is always half full and there is always something new to enjoy just over the ridge in the next valley. Life is a gift.....that's why we call it the present!
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Brew wrote:
cyn·i·cism (sn-szm)
n.
After I started reading this post, I had to scroll back up to see which side made this comment as it could fit many of the posts.

Brew
A good example of cynicism:

"Truth be known, DUSA is intended as a medium for Digital West Media to boost revenue and create profits and income."

EZ