Seldom Seen Slim

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Seldom Seen Slim

Post by Jim_b »

Seldom Seen Slim was a unique man who found his peace and solitude in the desert. He was a prospector who was always seeking the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. He lived in Ballarat, CA for 50 years, 30 of them he was the only one there. He always had money, even had a car and a old trailer when he died. It is not clear how he made money, or if he had a secret mine.

DesertUSA got an interesting e-mail about Slim and a topo map he had. This information has never been made public until now. Here is a link to the story. The new information is on page 3

http://www.desertusa.com/mag09/aug09/se ... -slim.html
Jim Hatt

Re: Seldon Seen Slim

Post by Jim Hatt »

Great story Jim, but like castle's, too far away for me.
Do the old magazines have any stories about the Superstition Mountains in them?

Jim Hatt

Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I know I'm not Jim :D But yes they do.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I was wondering how long it would take for you and Don to see that post Iggy. ;)

Well maybe Jim_b will eventually get around to my part of the country then.

Jim
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Jim B: This is what makes this site! It's so neat that someone would give you a copy of the topo of Slim's and the information to go along with it. Another interesting story from the DUSA files.

Don....
castle
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by castle »

Slim was certinly a colorful characture and some time the stories about him are a bit to colorful. He did live in Ballarat a numer of years, I even had the dubious pleasure of meeting him in the early 60's in Ballarat. That he lived for 50 years in Ballarat, especially as it's only resident is in doubt with me. My grandmother's cousin, Wm {Billy} Hyder lived in Ballarat from the 20's through the late 40's, early 50's. He had a house in Ballarat and a cabin in Goler Canyon. He prospected the Panamints and areas around them. There were a number of people living in Ballarat when Cousin Will was there, Fred Gray, Shorty Harris, both partners with Cousin Will on different mining claims. Chris Witches was anothen resident, and bar owner extraordinare of Ballarat. Storys that I've been told all say the Slim was a "new comer". He took other's storys and told them as his own. That's not to say that there wern't enough storys told about, of, and because of Slim in his own right.

After reading the story on the link provided I think there is some liberty taken as to Slim. I do remember my dad buying gas at Ted Langs Cheveron Station though. One of out trips after Cousin Will passed away in 1954 and my dad had taken over the claims and we pulleed in to Langs. My mother had come out with us on that trip and she remaked about how cool and nice is was under the canopy over the gas pumps. My dad looked over at the station and a thermometer in the winds was reading over a hundred degrees. My mother never could take the heat after that trip.

I'm not trying to denigrate, Slims stories or his contribution to Ballarats history, I'm just trying to add some reality to Slim and his story.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Castle,

First hand knowledge like that is always interesting, even if it is out of step with recorded Lore.

Great Post!

Jim
castle

Post by castle »

Jim Hatt wrote:Castle,

First hand knowledge like that is always interesting, even if it is out of step with recorded Lore.

Great Post!

Jim
Glad you found it interesting. I tend to have the habit, not sure if it's a good or bad habit, of adding a bit more of the truth or correcting those statements I find to be not correct or truthfull. Sometimes people are happy with that, sometimes they're not. I'm too old to change my ways though.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I am the same way Castle.
Rooting out the truth is what I participate in this Forum for.
Your style is welcome here as far as I am concerned.

Jim
castle

Post by castle »

Jim Hatt wrote:I am the same way Castle.
Rooting out the truth is what I participate in this Forum for.
Your style is welcome here as far as I am concerned.

Jim

Thank you.