FREE TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS via the Internet

Moderator: Jim_b

Tono Aratagona
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: FREE TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS (via the Internet)

Post by Tono Aratagona »

MMM wrote:Thanks Jim. I also live in a place with zero DSL or cable. It is satelitte, dial up or wireless. If you can use a cell phone, you have high speed access. There are a few things you need to know, howver. First, only Verizon or ATT have much coverage. Both coast you about $60.00 a month and both have usage limitations. Both are caped at 5 gig a month and if you go over that, hang on to your hat. But if you go to that big box store (begins with a Cos**) you can get the modem (about the size of a cig lighter) which plugs into a USB port for free, and a rebate for the hook up. You also get a month to try it out and if you don't like it (verizon) you can cancel and have no charges. I get speeds up to 2.4 meg download and 500 kps up. Sure beats dial up.

Mike
T-Mobile offers flat rate wireless Internet Access on pre-paid for $30 per month.
But you have to activate it manually, they don't ship the SIM cards with that pre-activated.
MMM

Re: Free topographical maps

Post by MMM »

Much like Jim, I live in a place where cell coverage is spotty. I live less than 45 miles from San Diego, but might as well be on the moon. I know this has gotten way off topic, but its good info for anyone who wants to go moble. The ONLY providers in my area are ATT and Verizon. The rest are concerned only with providing coverage in urban areas. Fully 90% of San Diego County, outside of cities have no cable or dsl service. Also, much like JIm, our phone lines are really old. The tag on the pole say the lines are around 60 years old and can not support dsl (for you techno savy folk its called pair-gain service) So, like Jim, we are stuck. Cudos to your real unlimited service. Stuff we can only dream about. Someday, (over the rainbow lol) word is the "empty" spaces the analog TV signales used will be used for high speed low cost internet access. But, for now, that is just another dream. Jim I looked at Apachie Junction, gads, I was there way back in 1958 and how it has changed.

Good prospecting.

Mike
Jim Hatt

Re: Free topographical maps

Post by Jim Hatt »

MMM

re: Someday, (over the rainbow lol) word is the "empty" spaces the analog TV signals used will be used for high speed low cost internet access.

Might work for you Mike, but it would still leave me out. The only way I can get TV is by Satellite. I used to get two channels when it was analog, but I can't get any digital channels at all!

I can't even pick up a radio station in the house without an outside antenna.

Don't worry about getting off topic Mike. I modified the title to fit the discussion.

Jim
MMM

Re: FREE TOPOGRAPHICAL MAPS via the Internet

Post by MMM »

Jim, we are both in the same boat, lol. Satelitte TV only. It is amazing to think that in todays age, if you live outside the city, you are so limited for new technology. But you know something? I would not want to live in a city ever again. My small "town" has a population of 50. Being surounded by National Forest there will never be any more development. I like it that way.

Mike
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I agree 100% Mike. There are sacrifices to be made in order to live outside of the Rat-Race, but they are worth it!

Jim
rockdude

Post by rockdude »

Thanks mike, I use that site all the time.
goverton

Post by goverton »

Here is Wifi Setup for long distances.
Put a TV antenna rotater on pole and you can turn antenna in all directions.
Should be able to pick up anyone's unsecured router upto 2 miles.
Works wonders! :mrgreen:

(****NE 1 needing a bigger pic of this, let me know***)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.