Getler and Brewer Books

Moderator: Jim_b

RockyFrisco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Getler and Brewer Books

Post by RockyFrisco »

Having really enjoyed reading The Shadow of the Sentinel by Getler and Brewer, I ordered Rebel Gold by the same authors. Imagine my dismay at discovering that the two books are identical, except for the titles. Word for word, the same book, the same pages, chapters, everything. There is no new material. I'm not sure whether to feel stupid or cheated. :oops:
Jim Hatt

Re: Getler and Brewer Books

Post by Jim Hatt »

Thanks for the heads-Up on that Rocky!

I'm sure a lot of others will appreciate it too, so they don't wind up feeling the same way. Put one of them on eBay. There are bound to be a lot of others out there that have read one of them, and can't wait to see how good the other is.

Start a vicious cycle going. :lol:

Jim
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Thanks Rocky. I would be ticked off too - I wonder why on earth they did that? Can't be good for book sales.
Roy
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Just a knee-jerk response here Roy, but my first thought was that it probably doubled their sales real quick! For a while anyway. :lol:

Jim
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Don't feel too bad Rocky,

Think about the poor guy that went into the bookstore, and bought both books off the shelf at the same time! :?

Jim
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Jim Hatt wrote:Don't feel too bad Rocky,

Think about the poor guy that went into the bookstore, and bought both books off the shelf at the same time! :?

Jim
Ditto amigo - and I would bet there were a LOT of folks who made that mistake of picking up both at the same time. I just hope that anyone interested in the first book will check what has been posted here and learn they are the same before buying the other.

Roy
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Jim Hatt wrote:Thanks for the heads-Up on that Rocky!

I'm sure a lot of others will appreciate it too, so they don't wind up feeling the same way. Put one of them on eBay. There are bound to be a lot of others out there that have read one of them, and can't wait to see how good the other is.

Start a vicious cycle going. :lol:

Jim
Coffee -> nose -> keyboard. :)

-Rock
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

I bought a CD copy of "Jesse James Was One of His Names."

I'm halfway through it and I'm not sure yet whether it's History, Fiction, Science Fiction or Fantasy, but I'm really enjoying it. It was definitely worth the $45.

Glover's "Golden Dream" arrived in the mail today. It says "part one. Is there a part two?

-Rock
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Yes Rocky there is a part-2.

It is all about the Holmes Manuscript, See: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=393

When reading Glover's books, there is something you have to keep in mind. He came into the LDM game rather late compared to other authors. Much of his information is just a different version of what had already bee published in earlier books, or hearsay 100+ years from the source. Anything presented which is "New Information" (not previously published), in my opinion was never before published, because some of it had not been fabricated yet. He has my name in that book, and some of my family history which is totally misrepresented. He has my Grandfather knowing the Petrasch's in 1892. My Grandfather was not born until 1898.

Bottom line... he published anything anyone told him. I refused to meet with him, because I had already been given a heads-up, that he was collecting information for a book, without telling people that was his intention. So he published what he had in the way of the "Hatt" family story, that he got from an anonymous source. Like they say... "There is no such thing as a Free Puppy", and "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story".

I'm not saying you won't enjoy it. I enjoyed reading it. Even the misrepresented part about my family history, which was colored up real nice, tho almost completely inaccurate. I'm just saying that I would have expected a lot more, in the way of verification of what was published, from a man with a PhD in Education.

If you want to read about the Holmes Manuscript (The subject of his second book) I can email you a copy of the original typed manuscript from the 1940's. It is not copyrighted. Nobody even claims to have written it. It has George "Brownie" Holmes name on it, but he publicly denied writing it until the day he died.

Jim