name changes on maps

Moderator: Jim_b

jimb
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

name changes on maps

Post by jimb »

There was a discusion about name changes. Maps are always changing names of places. There was a story of a treasure in the Cocopa Mts. The closest thing to that on a modern map is chocolate mts. And in the Supers, the hat has had several names as do several other mountains. That is why we need to find old, old, maps, perferably spanish maps to check out names of places.
Now this is my first time here in a long time. I was here many years ago. I spend time on Treasurenet, which seems to be down as I cant connect, and on several other treasure forems.
Jim Hatt

Re: name changes on maps

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Jimb and welcome to the DUSA forums!

We are all going to have to watch real close to keep from confusing you with the DUSA Webmaster who goes by Jim_b.

Needless to say, I think when ever you speak everyone will be LISTENING! :lol:

Tom Kollenborn started a popular discussion titled SUPERSTITION WILDERNESS AREA PLACE NAMES & LANDMARKS which can be found at:

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... Placenames

Although it is dedicated mostly to the Superstition Mountains, Tom is very knowledgeable about the history of the entire Southwest, and can be a good source for the history of Place names for other areas also. So much so... that in it's infancy, there was a lot of discussion just over what the topic should have been named, and which forum it should reside in. :lol:

After having some time to look around... You will probably notice that we have made a lot of changes in the forums here in the last couple of years. I hope you find them all to your liking. We have a lot of the same members here that you are probably familiar with from T-Net, so you should feel right at home here rather quickly.

Best,

Jim
jimb

Post by jimb »

Thanks for the welcome Jim H! Since I can not find a way to contact you privatly, I'll just ask you here. Is TN down? I have not been able to get on the site for 3 days now.
There might be some here that remember me from years ago, or not. But it is still good to be back.
I often wonder if anyone has ever mad a list by state of all the name changes of mountains and reagons?
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I believe TreasureNet has been down recently - they went through the same sort of thing a few months ago and it ended up being down for a week or so. I haven't gotten an e-mail from the webmaster to explain the problem this time though.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

I noticed it was down Friday morning.It was up again at around midnight Saturday/Sunday,but went down again minutes later.
I just googled "Marc Austin/treasure net" and found a couple of discussions about the issue.

Regards:SH.