Rookie Panner Headed For SW New Mexico in April

Moderator: Jim_b

Catfish
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Rookie Panner Headed For SW New Mexico in April

Post by Catfish »

Hello everybody,

I'm Steve from New Orleans,LA. In April i'm headed for the Gila Nat'l Forest, 8 miles south of Cliff near Bill Evans Road to do some recreational panning in the Gila River. I'm 54 and retired from the Fire Department and i plan to be in the area for 4 or 5 months camping and panning. Although i'm an experienced outdoorsman, i'm a greenhorn when it comes to panning. My first and only adventure panning for gold was eight years ago north of Dahlonega, Georgia in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Appalachian Trail. I expected to pick gold nuggets right out of my pan with no effort at all. Eight weeks later and $800 dollars poorer, I staggered out onto a paved road with nothing to show for my adventure except four dandruff sized flakes of gold in a glass bottle. The trip is still the subject of much joking and laughter at family gatherings.

This time around, i'm way better prepared and educated on the subject, and understand the difficulties of separating magnetite from regular sand and gold particles, ect. Studying topo map and satellite pics of the area, but still waiting on gold map. Any suggestions for panning in the area would be greatly appreciated. In fact, i'm completely open to ANY suggestions about exactly where to go in SW New Mexico for a productive adventure. But i do have to finalize a travel plan by March 3rd.

Thanks,
TradClimber

Re: Rookie Panner Headed For SW New Mexico in April

Post by TradClimber »

Hi Cat and welcome to the forum.

You posted:
I expected to pick gold nuggets right out of my pan with no effort at all. Eight weeks later and $800 dollars poorer, I staggered out onto a paved road with nothing to show for my adventure except four dandruff sized flakes of gold in a glass bottle. The trip is still the subject of much joking and laughter at family gatherings.
Sounds like to me you got what it takes to be a prospector.

Thanks for your sharing and honesty.

TradClimber

PS: Other than keeping my eyes open, I'm not a prospector.

PPS: Don't tell your family, but you missed the 1,000th person to join grand prise by one.

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic. ... 542#p23542
Catfish

Post by Catfish »

O.K. Does anyone here have any firsthand knowledge of panning along the San Francisco River anywhere between Alma New Mexico and Cifton Arizona ? How about the Blue River where it intersects the San Francisco ? Any color there ?
Casca

Post by Casca »

Hi Catfish,

Over Rio Doso way there is a mining company that will let you pay to play. I dont have the info off hand. The El Paso gpaa has a club and a claim down this way also.

I would also suggest contacting claim owners and trying to get permission on their claims. Hillsboro is one such area.

There is several opportunity's here in New Mexico. Good Luck