Jim Hatt - RIP

Moderator: Jim_b

adminme
Site Admin
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Jim Hatt - RIP

Post by adminme »

Jim D. Hatt, 61, of Apache Junction passed away October 12, 2011 in Mesa, Arizona. Jim was born in Michigan in 1949. He is survived by his sister Shelly Waller and his friend Doris Abbott.

Jim Hatt first heard the story of the Lost Dutchman Mine from his great-grandfather, Earl Arthur Hatt, in 1956. Earl had known members of the Petrasch family personally; they were among the earliest searchers for the lost mine of Jacob Waltz (the Dutchman). Earl maintained little more than a casual interest in what eventually grew to be one of the most famous legends in the history of lost mines in the entire Southwest. The story smoldered through four generations of the Hatt family until it fell upon Jim’s ears and burned into his soul. He came to believe the Lost Dutchman Mine was one of the locations hinted at on the Peralta Stone Maps.

Jim dreamt of going to Arizona and searching for the lost mine all of his life, but it was not until 1989 when his children were grown, that he felt free to pursue his own dreams. Leaving a lucrative career in commercial nuclear power, he began to live on intermittent consulting contracts in the nuclear field, and odd jobs around Apache Junction, Arizona. He dedicated more and more time to chasing the legend, a decision that he never regretted in the years that passed since.

In 1998 Jim was selected as one of five men to be profiled in a documentary filmed for A&E about the search for the Lost Dutchman Mine. Also profiled in the documentary were Tom Kollenborn, Bob Corbin, Clay Worst and Ron Feldman. One day of filming was dedicated to an interview of Senator John McCain filmed in the shadow of the Superstition Mountains, where as a younger man McCain left his own footprints along the rocky trails in the land of legends.

In 2009 Jim set up and managed DesertUSA's forum on the Lost Dutchman and the Peralta Stone Maps. He always looked for the truth, and ran a controlled forum so that only accurate information got posted.

Jim found out he had lung cancer in November 2010, and worked hard to control it and to stay involved in the things that were most important to him. The cancer took his voice, and speaking became difficult for him. Jim Hatt's input and experience will be missed on DesertUSA's forums.

The staff at DesertUSA will miss this fine man, keep him in your prayers.
cubfan64

Re: Jim Hatt

Post by cubfan64 »

adminme wrote:Jim Hatt has lost his battle with lung cancer. We will post more when we get additional information.

The staff at DesertUSA will miss this fine man, keep him in your prayers.
Thanks Jim, I'm sorry to hear that he passed away.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

It is a very sad day here in the land of treasure and dreams..........I in my life have known only a few great friends Jim was one of the very few......I am sure are paths will meet again.Today Jim knows the truth we all search for. We spoke just a few days ago about are next trip. I will never forget him the best times I can remember where spent up at camp listening to the old country tunes and dreaming out loud back and forth....He always spoke of Dorris his lovely girl and how he wanted to whine and dine her with the Gold if he ever found it. It takes my breath away to think I will never hear him again. I did not get to say good bye and I did not get to give him the sun glasses I got for him......Dang it Dang it Dang it......

Kurt Painter
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Truly a day of sadness for those of us who knew Jim Hatt.
We will not forget the man,his knowledge,or his kindness and generosity to each of us.
We will honour him with memories of hours of earnest conversation and days spent on mountain trails.
Farewell Jim.
Godspeed.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I keep imagining him sitting back in an easy chair now that he knows where the Lost Dutchman Mine is. Is he shaking his head and laughing because it's nowhere near where he thought? Is he amazed at how close he came in his searches?

No matter what, I'm certain he doesn't regret a single day of his life he spent researching, listening to old-timers, hiking and exploring in those mountains.

The Superstitions have yet another soul watching over them today.

Rest in peace Jim.
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

I'll be polishing a rock heart with Jim in mind.

My deepest condolences to his family.

Ed Arno
Vulture

Post by Vulture »

Very sad. I only new Jim through this forum and enjoyed his knowledge and thoughts about the Superstition's.

Rest in peace jim.
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Descansa en paz Amigo.

My condolences to Doris, all of Jim's relatives, and friends.

Homar P. Olivarez
alan m

Post by alan m »

I am sorry to say that I did not know Jim except through this forum, but I wish I had.
He was one of the very few people who kept a clear head when it came to the plethora of theories about the LDM.
If ever I thought who had a real chance at finding it , it was Jim.
My correspondance with Jim has been short and intermittent but I will miss him none the less.
Alan :cry:
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Adios! Jim Hatt!
We'll miss ya!