"RESCUE ON BATTLEAXE ROAD" BY JIM HATT.....

Moderator: Jim_b

coazon de oro
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: "RESCUE ON BATTLEAXE ROAD" BY JIM HATT.....

Post by coazon de oro »

Howdy Wayne,

They went to a lot of trouble to accomplish that, I don't think it was just for the fun of it.

The bracketed cross that I found is 15 feet across, carved into the rock wall. I figured it was already there made by Jesuits, or Templar's, and it was just used as a landmark by the Peralta's, but who knows.

I'll pm you something else I see in your pictures.

Homar
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Thanks Homar.
Some of these photos have been posted in other posts, and on other sites these last few years.
I guess I've probably shared at least a couple of hundred shots altogether, of the something over two thousand I've shot out there since 1996. I'm sure I've missed seeing things that might be interesting in many of them, especially in areas where I have spent far less time than the one I'm exploring currently. Those who click on the photos I post with my comments can view all of the others in the album as well, since I have left the setting as "public" for the Photobucket account where they are stored. I also have one on Feldman's LDM site with many more (somehikers pics) in several albums and sub-albums.....also public http://www.thelostdutchmangoldmine.com/ ... /somespics. Since that site is on borrowed time however, I will probably stick to Photobucket from here on out. Seems to work well for DUSA posts.

Some kind of scaffolding must have been used for some of what was done out there. While many of the wavy lines or even some of the X's and +'s may have been natural markings used simply because they were there, and visible, there are too many letters and numbers in the area for them all to be natural. Whoever was there, were there for the long haul, and had good reasons for their actions IMO.

There is another carved heart with a line or pointer off to the right, co-incidentally on a heart-shaped boulder. It's position in the field AND on the right side of the Priest stone are the same,if one goes in the direction the Priest is pointing with his cross.

That heart-shaped boulder is not perfect..... but neither is this one

Last edited by somehiker on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

And looking down a bit....

There is also an "8" and a "P" apparent in this view.
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

somehiker wrote:And looking down a bit....

There is also an "8" and a "P" apparent in this view.
Howdy Wayne,

I did catch those before I scrolled down, since I wasn't expecting more. I like to enlarge the pictures with the ctrl & scroll to check for ants. :lol:

I have also wondered how they made some of the large carvings so high up, since I see no large trees for ladders, I wonder if they hung on ropes? Sure would ruin your day if an Apache came by and cut the rope on you.

It sure would be nice to have a way of dating all those markings to know which ones to disregard.

One thing that caught my eye was the white rectangle area on the Priest Stone. Is that from the tape that Travis used to cover some parts for the Life Magazine photos? I don't know if that has been discussed already, but it may still be visible with the same light, and a way to know if the original is in the museum.

Homar
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Homar:

It could be, but the entire Life Magazine issue is available on Google Books
http://books.google.ca/books?id=W0EEAAA ... 64&f=false
Pg.90
and it doesn't show that area of the stone.
This is one of a set of high def black and white photos I use for research purposes.
They were on one of the cd/dvds that Jim Hatt sent me. I'll put the rest of them up later today.
They're good for comparison purposes.

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

It was actually Clarence Mitchell, aka Travis Marlow, who worked with Life Magazine for the article.
He covered portions of the stones, presumably to hide markings he thought were particularly important.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

For the Life Magazine photo, Mitchell covered the "5 and five dots" at the upper left corner, as well as the "AL NORTE DEL RIO" on the right side of the Horse.
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Those black, and white photos of the PSM's do seem more revealing.
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

The Lower Trail Map

In the Life Magazine article, Mitchell had taped over the "2=3" and the "18".
That he did not hide the "7" as well, indicates to me that he did not have proprietary information, as I believe Travis Tumlinson (and perhaps Robert Tumlinson as well) had obtained from his grandfather "Peg Leg Tumlinson".

somehiker

Post by somehiker »

The Upper Trail Map.
No photograph of his stone was shown in the article, despite the fact that it had the unusual feature of a removable heart-shaped insert.