New Book?

Moderator: Jim_b

riley53
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

New Book?

Post by riley53 »

Hello all:) I have been a fan of the forum for years following the news and exploring region when I can. Did not make it to Don's Camp meet this year but I hope it went well. I was hoping that someone here could answer a question for me. A friend of mine has a book called "Arizona's Tales & Trails of The Superstitions" that he said he got about a year ago. He let me borrow it and this book is amazing! Unlike the rest of the ones I have read, and I thinks I have most of them, this one is in color, has a CD full of pics and gives GPS locations to everything. Many of the sites that people have been looking for here on the forum like the Mercury mine, Overhang cliff, many markers, caves, Pictos, it go on and on. Well, in short I want a copy of the book, my friend got it from the Author but it was at a signing and has no idea were to buy one. Does anyone know where to get one, I have looked at all of the local shops?
Joe Ribaudo

Re: New Book?

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

riley53 wrote:Hello all:) I have been a fan of the forum for years following the news and exploring region when I can. Did not make it to Don's Camp meet this year but I hope it went well. I was hoping that someone here could answer a question for me. A friend of mine has a book called "Arizona's Tales & Trails of The Superstitions" that he said he got about a year ago. He let me borrow it and this book is amazing! Unlike the rest of the ones I have read, and I thinks I have most of them, this one is in color, has a CD full of pics and gives GPS locations to everything. Many of the sites that people have been looking for here on the forum like the Mercury mine, Overhang cliff, many markers, caves, Pictos, it go on and on. Well, in short I want a copy of the book, my friend got it from the Author but it was at a signing and has no idea were to buy one. Does anyone know where to get one, I have looked at all of the local shops?
Riley,

Here's some information on the author, who lives, I believe, in Apache Junction. You should be able to get his phone number from information:

http://www.intelius.com/people/Trent-Joslin/08dph2bqw01

I don't believe the book is available from the museum, or anywhere besides from the author.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
riley53

Post by riley53 »

Hello Joe! You were right about the book not being sold to the public. The friend of mine spoke with the author and he stated that the book maybe sold in the future but right now only people that ask to get a copy that know of it can get it:( The book gives out the GPS to several, and I mean 100s of locations with the region. I will be trying to get a copy myself to learn a little more. This would be a great resource for explorers if he will just get it out there.

Thanks Again,

Riley53
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

riley53 wrote:Hello Joe! You were right about the book not being sold to the public. The friend of mine spoke with the author and he stated that the book maybe sold in the future but right now only people that ask to get a copy that know of it can get it:( The book gives out the GPS to several, and I mean 100s of locations with the region. I will be trying to get a copy myself to learn a little more. This would be a great resource for explorers if he will just get it out there.

Thanks Again,

Riley53
Riley,

I believe Trent Joslin is a member on this site.

Good luck,

Joe
Joe Ribaudo

Post by Joe Ribaudo »

One of the best tools for getting GPS readings as well as elevations for specific locations in the entire US, is
DeLorme Topo USA. It's not that expensive and you can print out topo maps

Joe Ribaudo
EDN

Post by EDN »

Riley,

Did you ever get a copy of that book? I would be interested in purchasing one if available.

Thanks,

EDN
riley53

Post by riley53 »

Hello EDN

I did get a look at it for a weekend, but the book is not currently being sold. From what I got to see it has a lot of GPS locations plus nearly everything about the Apache Trail. It even spoke about The Cave of A Thousand Eyes, and numerous other mines I never new were their. He added several parts about making gunpowder making sites, Mercury, and many monuments. I have read a lot of the stuff on this site and about the region as a whole but this book has stuff I want to see, a little hot now for that. I wrote down several GPS locations and will be checking them out when I can. The Author is Trent Joslin, in Apache Junction. All I can say is try and contact him here, he is a member and does read the posts. The book is in color and has a CD with thousands of pictures of the locations he talks about. I will chat with him again and see if he is going to be selling copy, it was published a year ago. Not sure why it has not found its way to the store, its better than most and has a lot more information:(

Riley
EDN

Post by EDN »

Riley,

Good luck in your search and thanks for the book information!!! I don't consider myself an avid Dutch Hunter. However, I have spent some time reading and exploring the mountains. I enjoy exploring and just getting out and checking out places. When I was young, I always wanted to be a Mountain Man and live off the land. My wife and kids laugh but, I was serious about it at one time. I grew up in South Eastern Idaho and spent a lot of time outdoors hiking, hunting, fishing, and just exploring. I used to run a my own trap line for fox's, skunks, badgers, and coyotes. I don't hunt or trap any more. However, I do get out with my metal detector and look for gold about 3 to 4 times a year. Nothing real serious, I enjoy exploring more than metal detecting. It's really just an excuse to get out and see stuff. Anyway, enough babbling. I wish you the best of luck searching the mountains. Look forward to seeing more of your posts.

EDN
riley53

Post by riley53 »

Hello EDN

YA I too like to just get out their and search around. If you come out this way to do some exploring let me know and I will send you some locations worth checking out that I got from that book. Hike safe!

Riley
dsummerbell10

Post by dsummerbell10 »

Nice indeed