enjoying the new site

Moderator: Jim_b

shining sun
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

enjoying the new site

Post by shining sun »

Hello everyone!
I really love this new prospecting site. That had been one of the plans for things to do on my trip this spring but alas!, severe health issues cropped up and I didn't get to go!
I'm getting lots of ideas for next year if I get better! Happy exploring to all!!!
Artemisia
shining sun

Re: enjoying the new site

Post by shining sun »

I wonder why my message did not post with "Artemisia"? "Shining sun" was how I logged in before the forum change-over took place but that name never identified the message???
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Shining Sun, and welcome to the Forum.
It's alright, we can get used to you using either name
Might call you "SS" to save on typing :D

Glad you like it,
The seats are soft, the conversation is friendly and the drinks are free :o
Come and see us often,

Jim Hatt
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

Thanks! I used to post as Artemisia and somehow my user ID became my new online name. I think this was probably my accidental doing. My favorite places to explore are in southern Nevada, and I usually use the town of Beatty as home base on trips. Any good mystery stories from that area?
SS/Artemisia
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Not as far as I know SS,

I never stray very far from the Superstition Mountains.
Might be someone else on the Forum that knows something about that area tho.
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

Maybe I need to expand my horizons. I haven't been farther south in AZ than Kingman,(I drove over that pass on the old Route 66). I've also been to Lake Powell. The Superstitions, as well as some other areas sound intriguing!
Wish I lived closer-I live in Washington State.
SS
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Jim Hatt wrote:Not as far as I know SS,

I never stray very far from the Superstition Mountains.
Might be someone else on the Forum that knows something about that area tho.

Perhaps PITD. He is in Nevada.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

shining sun wrote:Maybe I need to expand my horizons. I haven't been farther south in AZ than Kingman,(I drove over that pass on the old Route 66). I've also been to Lake Powell. The Superstitions, as well as some other areas sound intriguing!
Wish I lived closer-I live in Washington State.
SS

Right about now, I wish I was in Washington State for a week or so. 109 here today and has been in that range for quite a spell. 29 Palms is here for me. Probably 2 more months at least of this.

Jim, if you find that gold, will you buy me a nice swamp cooler for the garage? :lol:
shining sun

Post by shining sun »

Right now its hot here too! (102F) That is a relief, because he have long, cold, and snowy winters in SE WA! Love the heat-You desert folks are LUCKY!!! I must be part reptile, I shut down in the cold!
Last trip I looked for artifacts and found an intact medicine bottle eroding out of a wash near Beatty, NV. A good website to read about old glass is:
http://www.sha.org/bottle/typing.htm
This site is from BLM.
SS
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

First of all allow me to welcome you back to the site, abeit under a different name. :D I'm sorry that you're not feeling well and I'm sure that all of us wish for your recovery from whatever ails ya.

Goldseeker is right, I live in Nevada. My home and property are in Southern Nevada, (60 miles S/E of Las Vegas),but I'm currently living and working in Northern Nevada due to the economy. I'm not too familiar with the area around Beatty except for their notoriety for having some friendly ladies. I have done a lot of exploring around southern Nevada where I live in the Moapa Valley, mostly to shoot Photos of the hundreds of Petroglyph and Indian encampments that are around there. Moapa Valley is rich in History and I'm sure for the determined sleuth one can still find treasures.

You mentioned old bottles, well the area where I'm living and working still has many (and I mean many), areas that haven't been explored in many years. Once in a great while someone will stumble onto an old cabin or ranch house that hasn't been seen in a hundred years or more. And bottles, yes one can still find old bottles and many other things of interest. If you want to see a massive collection of old bottles from the 1800's, and you ever get in the central/northern part of Nevada, stop-by my friends rock shop in Austin. He's been collecting bottles since the fifties and now has many of them displayed in his store.

Again, welcome back and I hope you get to feeling better.