Photos Of Gold When Discovered?

Moderator: Jim_b

castle
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Photos Of Gold When Discovered?

Post by castle »

Sandman wrote:Hardrock gold is seldom visable in the rock and requires a complex process to remove it from the rock. Many old claims were given up on due to this problem and only after more modern processes were developed was mining possible

I have a little microscope, designed for stamps, and I can spot gold in my hard rock claim ore all day long. Don't know where you got that idea.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

You are getting a litle "Technical" with words there aren't you castle?

He said "seldom", not "Never", and I have to agree with Sandman according to the most common definition of "Visible Gold".

"Visible Gold" in the mining industry usually refers to gold that is visible to the naked eye. Gold that requires a magnification to see it, is commonly referred to as "Microscopic Gold".

I suppose it is all debatable, but for the purpose of discussing "Visible Gold" in this forum. I think we should restrict the definition of it, to what can be seen with the naked eye, and call your gold "Microscopic Gold"

It's all gold, and it's all good, but the difference is in whether you are going to recover Ounces per "Pound" or Ounces per "Ton" of material processed.

Jim

castle
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by castle »

I don't think I was being too technical, more like literal. If you want to leave it at visable with the naked eye, that's kewl. I've also heard the term micron fine, more then I have microscopic, again terms is terms.
Spyder
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Spyder »

Sorry, I know this is an old thread but it really piqued my interest though it did generate a couple questions in my mind. What about white gold? Is that naturally occurring or is it manufactured to be white? How would that be discernable from silver?

Don
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Spyder wrote:
What about white gold? Is that naturally occurring or is it manufactured to be white?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gold#White_gold

I know next to nothing about any type of gold. I do try to keep my eyes open for that one color when hiking remote areas of the desert.

TradClimber
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

TC,

It is doubtful that you will find any gold laying right on top of the ground in plain sight. Gold is very heavy and sinks to bedrock.

Spyder,

I believe the white gold your are referring to is Platinum.

Jim
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

This is really an excellent thread

There was an occurrence of a substance being mistaken for fools gold (calverite)
Well it turns out that calverite hides gold within.

Here’s the blurb form wiki

“In the Kalgoorlie gold rush of the 1890s, large amounts of calaverite were mistaken for fool's gold, and were discarded. The mineral deposits were used as a building material, and for the filling of potholes and ruts. Several years later, the nature of the mineral was identified, leading to a minor gold rush to excavate the streets.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calaverite

Its a hilarious story. Cause miners were discarding these rocks while getting to the gold. They used these rocks to build their houses, roads ect… A few years later a chemist discovered the truth about these discarded rocks.
Hence the second gold rush

Ed
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Roc
Thanks for the link.

"Structure
Calaverite’s structure has been both an object of fascination and frustration in the scientific community for many years. Goldschmidt et al. indexed 105 crystals resulting in 92 forms[4] but needed five different lattices to index all of the faces.[5] This led to consideration that Calaverite violated Hauy’s Law of Rational Indices.[4] The introduction of diffraction did not completely solve this problem. Tunnel and Ksanda in 1936 and then Tunnel and Pauling in 1952 solved the C2/m general structure of Calaverite. However, additional diffraction spots which they could not interpret were present in the survey. Later, transmission electron microscopy study suggested that the satellite reflections in Calaverite were due to Au in commensurately displacive modulation superimposed on the average C2/m structure.[6] In 1988, Schutte and DeBoer solved the structure by using the 3H super space group C2/m (α O γ)Os. They also showed that these modulations consist mainly of the displacements of Te atoms and the observed modulations were interpreted in terms of valence fluctuations between the Au+ and Au3+. According to Schutte and DeBoer, those displacements also affect the coordination number of Calaverite.[7] In 2009, Bindi et al. concluded that the different coordination numbers associated with Calaverite were indeed associated with a significant differentiation in the valence sum of Au, and that the random distribution of Ag suppresses the fluctuation of Au+ and Au3+, whereas the ordered distribution reinforces it.[8]"

However, this is so far above my head that I now have a headache!

TradClimber
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I see what you mean TC,

Those are the kind of words that... When you go to look them up... You also have to look up the words used in the definition. :lol:

Best,

Jim
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

from wiki
Calaverite, or gold telluride, is an uncommon telluride of gold, a metallic mineral with the chemical formula AuTe2. It was first discovered in Calaveras County, California in 1861. Its color may range from a silvery white to a brassy yellow. It is closely related to the gold - silver telluride sylvanite. Another mineral containing AuTe2 is krennerite. Calaverite represents a minor ore of gold and tellurium

Yep... this is as far as I can get then my :? starts aching !!

As I understand it--- the secret was first discovered in Telluride, Colorado.
a few years before the Austrailian incident.
Some mineres had a campfire and the rocks they were using to border the fire
started bleeding gold!

have a find day all !
Ed