Photos Of Gold When Discovered?

Moderator: Jim_b

Oropan
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Photos Of Gold When Discovered?

Post by Oropan »

Believe me it will work. Everyone here needs to read the latest Desertusa issue and the story on Desert Varnish. The iron and mangaese stains are bacteria and the bleach removes them.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Oropan wrote:Believe me it will work. Everyone here needs to read the latest Desertusa issue and the story on Desert Varnish. The iron and mangaese stains are bacteria and the bleach removes them.
Ahhh there you go then :) As long as the stains are "organic" in nature, you're absolutely correct that bleach can remove them exposing gold.

Thanks for the clarification
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

There used to be a mining Engineer that worked for Elaine Schrader when she owned Promack Mining Supply. I think his name was Gilbert. He used put all of the raw gold she traded for into a solution of 50% water and 50% Clorox and let it soak all day (giving it a good shake every time he walked by it) to clean it up before putting up for sale in the display case.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Hardrock gold is seldom visable in the rock and requires a complex process to remove it from the rock. Many old claims were given up on due to this problem and only after more modern processes were developed was mining possible

Aint that the truth! In my travels I have often found where tailing piles have beed worked with cyanide and ammonium hydroxide and the residue is left laying right there. Be careful kickin around old mines as the open holes and rattlesnakes aint the only things that can bite ya
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Welcome to the Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Forum Sandman. I don't think I have seen you in here before.

I have a question... Are there any visible signs when you come across anything like that? I have been digging into old tailing piles for quite a few years. No telling how many of the were contaminated? Ouch!!!

Are there any obvious colors or anything that will give a person a hint, that a pile might be a bad place to be digging around in??

Jim

Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Well, one obvious clue might be the skelton lying nearby... :shock:

Seriously, that is a very good question.
I have found visible gold in tailings piles before, very small but visible.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim Hatt wrote:Welcome to the Gold Prospecting & Treasure Hunting Forum Sandman. I don't think I have seen you in here before.

I have a question... Are there any visible signs when you come across anything like that? I have been digging into old tailing piles for quite a few years. No telling how many of the were contaminated? Ouch!!!

Are there any obvious colors or anything that will give a person a hint, that a pile might be a bad place to be digging around in??

Jim
I'll see if I can find some time later this week or next to do a decent search, but if you use google and type something like "cyanide test kits," I'm sure you'll find a number of field test kits (usually swabs, paper strips, color indicators, etc...) that can be used to detect potentially nasty things you might find in mining areas. Things like cyanide and mercury could be especially hazardous to one's health.

I really hadn't though that much about it, but it really wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a couple test kits like that as well as just simple pH strips in case one finds a potential water source in an area that could be contaminated like that.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I have a rather novice/ignorant question, and this seemed like the best thread to ask it. Forgive me, but this is one of those "it seems so easy that I feel silly asking it" questions.

I've read numerous references to Waltz's ore being assayed at very high values - most are different from one another, but they all seem to be proclaiming some astonishing value in $/ton of ore.

I've never really paid any attention to those values for what I felt was a simple reason, but I've also never asked anyone whether my assumption is correct.

If what one reads is also true that Waltz was able to remove the richest specimens of ore and then further hand cob them to even further "refine" the value, doesn't it stand to reason that the assay on those "ore" samples would be extraordinarily high? But if so, in essence those assay reports would be meaningless really because the ore samples aren't "average" samples of ore from the mine right?

I know it really doesn't make much difference to the overall story, but I just wanted to see if my assumption is correct or not.

Thanks
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

You are right-on Paul.

I have heard many stories about assays of the ore under his bed, but have never seen a single one of them. Just stories about others that claimed to have seen them.

Bottom line is just what you said. Assays are calculated into terms of Ounces per Ton of ore. Specially rich hand cobbed specimens are not representative of what would be found in the average ton.

Assays are more representative of what is actually there, when they are done on lower grade deposits, that are equally spread out over a large area.

In real life there is no reason for fire assaying ore that you can see the gold in with the naked eye, into units of Ounces per Ton. You can weigh the rock. Crush it and pan the gold out and weigh the gold. Do the math and calculate the results into Ounces per Pound.

Jim

cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Thanks for confirming my thoughts Jim.