Do all rattlers have to be coiled before srtiking?

gordon
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Do all rattlers have to be coiled before srtiking?

Post by gordon »

Goldseeker, I am quite familiar with the area in which you reside, No need for Jerry to come look at it. Without question you are in snake territory. Although I to would suggest the best option for you would be a moving van, since you rule that one out have you considered trying to snake proof your yard a bit??
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

In 11 months I can sell it and take the capital gains exemption and move to the Storie Park area of Yucca Valley, which is right below Sky Harbor, to go before then would cost too much in capital gains and tax's. I need to stay until Aug 2010. I really like Storie Park. How are you familiar with this area? What suggestions do you have? Terry said snake away. That PDF thing he linked said that kind of stuff was pricey and didnt work. I am open to suggestions. You are familiar with the area on the far outskirts east end of town, off Utah trail and Baseline, near the park HQ?
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I have read that Snakeaway doesn't work too....But figured it might give you some peace of mind...And who knows, maybe all the naysayers are wrong...I would try it myself before I believed the reports. That's how I look at it.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

My neighbor just told me that the old guy in the back at the hardware store knows about some real hot pepper that you mix with water and pour around the perimiter of the yard. Keeps everything away. I will ask him. Sometimes those old timers know what works.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Goldseeker: Jerry Feldner gave you the best advice your going to get here or anywhere. I gave you a link to tongs that were cheaper -- $59 or a 40 inch tong. All you have to do is grab one and put it in the bucket and take it out to the desert somewhere and drop it off. I've done it here a couple of times myself as we live right on the edge of the desert. It's be the best investment you ever made. You could use them for a walking stick and thrash around in bushes in the desert to look for rattlers --- ask Terry he does it all the time with his, in fact he gave me the link to the site I gave you!

It'll only take one time for you to miss when your killing one; then the snake jerks to the side and then nails you to realize we told you the truth and gave you the best way to be rid of them. Ok Bill?

Don....
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

I believe you. I am not looking for them, just looking out to be aware of them. That link also said not to try it yourself if you had never done so. You probably wont like this but a police friend of mine gave me this advice: CO2 powered .177 pellet gun. I really dont plan on trying to catch them with tongs. I would have to see it done on a video or in person. One miss there and you are already dealing with a pissed off snake. I hope no more show up. I am going to ask the JT rangers though.
Tyroler

Re: Mambas??

Post by Tyroler »

Jerry Feldner wrote:Here are the locations where Black Mambas have been found:

You might notice that they are all in AFRICA!!. All of the Mambas live only in Africa, not RVN. Here is the reference:
I found a black snake in Viet Nam - the Monocled Cobra (Naja kaouthia). Well, pretty black anyway.
Could be a Ex-Pet Snake :?:
They found a Piranhas in England http://iberianature.com/britainnature/t ... set-coast/
http://iberianature.com/britainnature/p ... ish-river/
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

gordon wrote:Goldseeker, I am quite familiar with the area in which you reside, No need for Jerry to come look at it. Without question you are in snake territory. Although I to would suggest the best option for you would be a moving van, since you rule that one out have you considered trying to snake proof your yard a bit??

"the best optioin would be a moving van" ......
on 2nd thought, you just might be right....now, how do we get all these rattlers into that moving van? :lol: And where will they go? To Terry's place? :lol:
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Tyroler yodeled -"Could be a Ex-Pet Snake :?: "

A pet Mamba? in Viet Nam?? Were you there??? :o :shock:
Sycamore

Re: Why continue to kill rattlers???

Post by Sycamore »

Jerry Feldner wrote:......
Now, some more facts. Rattlesnakes typically have a home range of about 1 square mile. A snake may not hit every part of the home range every year, sometimes not going to a certain spot for years. I know of three separate studies done on four species of rattlesnakes which indicate that once a rattler is captured, it does not return to the point of capture. .....
Jerry, I find that fascinating. Would you care to share the citations for those studies, I would very much like to read them.

Thanks,

Sycamore