Arizona Black Rattlesnake-neonate.

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Arizona Black Rattlesnake-neonate.

Post by reptilist »

The three of us were taking a walk along the River today. I told Blake to go through "the notch", which is a little hole in the wall kind of thing that leads to some prime habitat for Az. Black Rattle Snakes. As he hopped through the notch, he happened to see this 10 inch rattlesnake....

This is the in situ shot:

Here's a better shot of the little one:

Jerry Feldner

Re: Arizona Black Rattlesnake-neonate.

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Since that does not look very "black," I thought I might explain a little bit about Cerbs (as we call 'em). What Reptilist is showng is an AZ Black Rattlesnake with its typical juvenile color pattern. Some populations never lose the juvenile look but others grow up looking very like the one shown in the link>>> http://www.reptilesofaz.com/Snakes-Subp ... berus.html
This species only lives in AZ and adjacent SW NM. The "hill people" often call this a "Timber Rattler," which, of course, it is not.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Another nice shot Terry. But in the photo it looks bigger than 10". Without any object for a size comparison it's hard to tell. Maybe next time you could put you hand down next to him for a size comparison LOL They are definitely out now. Caught up with a coachwhip on Sat. but couldn't actually catch him. I had IGGY standing by with the video camera to get a video of him bitting the heck out me, but he got away.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

haha! Coachwhips are my least favorite snake to catch....all that biting, writhing, and musking....ugh! Their too darn quick to catch most of the time anyway, not that I even want to!

10 inches...About the length of a cigarette...That's what I tell my wife anyway!