Predatory mountain lion killed

Post by Iggy »

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Predatory mountain lion killed

Post by reptilist »

Me neither!
"The good old boys at Game & Fish have an outdated anti-carnivore bias and continue to insist a National Wildlife Refuge be run as a state bighorn game farm, said Patterson, who is also a State Representative from Tucson. "The bighorn herd at Kofa is increasing when last checked, but due to state-sponored killings, the small and rare low desert puma population on and around the Kofa is far more imperiled right now than the bighorn herd."
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Man's got to mess with mother nature. We think the reason is because of the money the Bighorns bring in during hunting season -- they wouldn't want to have a Puma interfere with that, now would they? Sorry but that just ticks me off to no end! Man is definitely the predatory animal, and mostly for money, politics, or ego!

Rant over!

Don...
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

This was posted in the paper by one of the people that was in the collard program.
This practice of management of our wildlife sickens me. A few years ago, though I was not a key instrument in obtaining funds for collaring the Mountain Lions in Kofa, I did assist in searching for funding opportunities from agencies and supplied that information to an individual at Kofa. I also assisted with the submitting the proposal requesting the grant funds. In reviewing the scope of work on the proposal nothing in their indicated that there was even the remote possibility that ultimately the collars would be used for this purpose. Whether or not it was that particular proposal that was indeed funded for this purpose then I feel confident, knowing the mission of the funding agency that they would be appalled that their funds have assisted in the slaughter of these mountain lions. If at that time I would of ever dreamed that the collaring of the mountain lions would of resulted in this, then I would of never participated. I believed this was to help monitor and bring back valued data on how the lions enteracted within the ecology balance of Kofa and NOT to manage them by using the collars to destroy them only for the profit and ego inflating of the agencies that are suppose to protect our national resources, which include the Mountain Lion. I have spent many hours out in KOFA and I must say the more often then not I see bighorn sheep, however I can only recall one time that I saw a Mountain Lion! I am a hunter and gun owner however I refuse to hunt at the expense of another animal survival. Ron, we met several years back and I applaud you on your vigilance in voicing your valued opinion, sharing your knowledge and for seeing the situation as it truly is without political and/or monetary gain. To close I must say that I feel that my participation in obtaining the funds to collar the lion is a disgrace, and I am disgusted that I was involved at any level. Barber you should feel as ashamed as I do,,,, shame on you for not only betraying the mountain lions, but the public that try to help.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Don hit the nail on the head....It's all about managing for money.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

We get the same political garbage up here. A rancher who loses one or two sheep to lions in five or six years will get together with the other ranchers and convince the public at large that they are going broke and something has to be done about those predators. Meanwhile, the state won't increase the hunting season for deer when there are so many of the things that you take your life in your hands driving on any rural highway in the evenings. The difference is that the big-city granolas think of deer as cute little bambis and do not want the prescious little things to be hurt, while the big bad mountain lions need to be eradicated for the safety of our livestock and our children. Propaganda, no matter who spreads it for whatever purposes, seldom breeds intelligent choices.