Neat Encounter

Jerry Feldner

Re: Neat Encounter

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Goldilocks wrote>>>"Why dont (sic) you simply re-home it with your snake tongs? The lizzard (sic) will love you for it."
No way would I try to handle a Coachwhip with tongs. Those are snakes you have to grab with your hands. Sure, you'll probably get bitten but you'll live. And I'm sure the L-I-Z-A-R-D will express his appreciation in his own saurian way.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

Coachwhips love side-blotched lizards, or just about any lizard they can get down their gullet.
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

Yes, they do love Uta but, they have quite catholic tastes and eat virtually anything that moves. This is from the link I placed above

"DIET: It is an impressive predator that eats a wide variety of animals including lizards, snakes (including rattlesnakes), mice, birds, insects, bats, frogs, toads, and small turtles. "

Actually, a friend of mine, now a PhD in Biology at UC Berkeley, when he was a grad student at UCLA and writing his PhD thesis, chose a subject dealing with sidewinder behavior in the Mojave Desert. Shortly after he implanted a number of 'winders with transmitters, he discovered the transmitters in the bellies of Coachwhips. Quick change and new title, "Predation by Coachwhips upon Sidewinders in an area of the Mojave Desert."
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Interesting!

It's a snake eat snake world out there. I enjoy all things natural in my neighborhood. It's amazing just how much life there is in the desert if you just take a little time to look.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Also a lot of death. I saw a raven or crow, eating, picking at a dove that was hit by a car, and it wasn't even dead yet! There is cruelty here. The desert trail weekly had a picture on the front page of a snake eating a lizzard tail first, it was about halfway down, and the lizzard was just looking as if it were resigned to its fate. A lot of life; a lot of death. The desert can be cruel.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

Pointless bickering removed by your benevolent moderator.