Something from my neighborhood.

Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Something from my neighborhood.

Post by Pharo »

Goldseeker wrote:
What do you think I should do with them
Well if they are only baby's why not use your shovel to just shove them off your driveway and let them slither away? I mean really GS one has to be pretty stupid to let themselves get bitten by a rattlesnake. We humans have a lot more smarts then a snake does. When they are out in the open like you described they are relatively easy to catch with a simple tool you can make out of PVC pipe and rope.

No matter how many you kill you will never solve the problems of living in the desert. Snakes are just a part of that situation and unless you’re eating them there is no justification in killing them.

Later,

PBiZ
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

the babys bite is more dangerous. slither away? to where? the neighbors house? and if it comes back? or bites someone? all the people here agree 0 tolerance for rattlers in the neighborhood. bad advice. i have no desire to catch them. just the other day someone told me they had a dog killed by one. he's not going to let them "slither away" either.
Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Pharo »

Goldseeker wrote:the babys bite is more dangerous.
This is a myth
Goldseeker wrote: slither away? to where? the neighbors house? and if it comes back? or bites someone?
The world is full of "what ifs" like I said, you have to be pretty stupid to get bit. If you live in an area with snakes then learn what to look for, teach your kids and dogs to do the same.
Goldseeker wrote: all the people here agree 0 tolerance for rattlers in the neighborhood. bad advice. i have no desire to catch them. just the other day someone told me they had a dog killed by one. he's not going to let them "slither away" either.
If it bothers you so much why stay in the area? Did you move into the desert to change it to what your idea of the desert should be? Or do you really want to live in the true desert?

Something to ponder.

Later,

PBiZ
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Pharo wrote:
Goldseeker wrote:the babys bite is more dangerous.
This is a myth
Goldseeker wrote: slither away? to where? the neighbors house? and if it comes back? or bites someone?
The world is full of "what ifs" like I said, you have to be pretty stupid to get bit. If you live in an area with snakes then learn what to look for, teach your kids and dogs to do the same.
Goldseeker wrote: all the people here agree 0 tolerance for rattlers in the neighborhood. bad advice. i have no desire to catch them. just the other day someone told me they had a dog killed by one. he's not going to let them "slither away" either.
If it bothers you so much why stay in the area? Did you move into the desert to change it to what your idea of the desert should be? Or do you really want to live in the true desert?

Something to ponder.

Later,

PBiZ

Dont like rattlers around the house; if you think there's nothing wrong with it, you are definitely in the minority. Check my username, THATS why I moved to the desert. No one here seems to like snakes, and this is still kind of wilderness. So I do watch and am careful Pretty hard to teach some dogs to keep away, some learn, some dont. I notice if its a big dog or two, they seem to keep away on their own. And yes, I may move to Yucca Valley, 25 miles west, when I can take the exemption for selling this house, which is a little less than 11 months. Still the desert, and close enough to get to the prospecting areas, and the area there I like has pine trees, is very green, and always 10-12 degrees cooler. BTW, most people I talk to dont like snakes; period.
gordon
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by gordon »

I have tried gator before, not overly impressed, far more fishy than any fish I have ever tasted.
GS have you considered snake proofing your yard?? Wouldn't be too hard to do really. Or perhaps a nice cozy plastic bubble.. it is such a shame that you seem to be proud of the killing of another creature. more and more I find myself rooting for the snakes here.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

gordon wrote:I have tried gator before, not overly impressed, far more fishy than any fish I have ever tasted.
GS have you considered snake proofing your yard?? Wouldn't be too hard to do really. Or perhaps a nice cozy plastic bubble.. it is such a shame that you seem to be proud of the killing of another creature. more and more I find myself rooting for the snakes here.

I would love to snakeproof the yard, but snakeaway does not work. Any suggestions? As for a bubble let me explain something. I dont run and always deal with my problems. Im the owner of the house (well B of A owns about 20% of it :lol: ) and so I make the rules. Rule #1: NO RATTLESNAKES HERE. Show me where I said I was proud of killing them. I actually felt a little sorry for them; would they feel the same if they bit me? :roll: And if you are rooting for the snakes, it reveals something about you. BTW non rattlers get a safe pass.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

and so I make the rules.
That's a delusion we all fall into. The wind blows, the sun shines, the tumbleweeds roll, and the rattlesnakes have you outnumbered.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Well if you want to look at it that way consider this: I have more bullets than there are rattlersnakes around here. Just sayin'.......

Anyway after today I wont be back on here until end of month. Maybe I can access from Indonesia occassionaly???

If not, will definitely tell you what its like there. And NO! I aint lookin to see ANY snakes, whatsoever. Just some quality time with my fiance, makin' plans. Seeing some local sights. She said the beaches are beautiful for one thing. And I dont have to drive. She will. ;)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Since you are going to see those beautiful Indonesian beaches, please try to get some pics of the sea snakes.

:lol:

Have a great time, and we look forward to reading your trip reports.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

gordon Wrote: I have tried gator before, not overly impressed, far more fishy than any fish I have ever tasted.
I guess everybody's tastes are different, as I have ate gator (Deep Fried) years ago in FL. and I thought it tasted quite mild, with a slight sweetness. Sorry to say it really did taste like chicken.