THE CAMP IN A CAVE & THE BEAR THAT ENDED IT

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

THE CAMP IN A CAVE & THE BEAR THAT ENDED IT

Post by Jim Hatt »

Clay and I had a camp in a cave that we used for about ten years, whenever we were working an area that wasn’t to far away from it. I had found the cave Five years before I ever met Clay. When I finally met him, and showed him some photos of it.

He wanted to see it for himself, and size it up for the possibility of it being a cave that he and Brownie had search for.

By the time Clay first saw it. I had it set up pretty comfortable, with air mattresses, sleeping bags, tent, pots & pans, 15-20 gallons of water obtained from a nearby wash when it was running. A large cooler for storing food that the mice couldn’t get into. Comfortable plastic lawn chairs. Two burner gas stove. I even had a battery powered clock hanging on the wall. It was great!

We could go in there carrying nothing but food and water, and have a comfortable place to sleep, and all the camping equipment we needed for a pleasant stay. Over the years, we managed to build up a pretty good supply of canned goods, and dehydrated food by always carrying a little more than we needed for each trip. I figure we had enough food cached away to last one person two weeks, or two people for a week...

Clay in the cave - 1

Clay in the cave - 2

Clay in the cave - 3

That was before the bear found it!

Bears can be a real nuisance when you leave anything stashed in the mountains. They have learned that if they follow the scent of a human trail. It will sometimes lead them to hidden caches of food or water.

Shortly after Clay had an accident that injured his hip and ended long hikes on foot into the mountains. I made a trip to the camp alone

The camp after the Bear found it.

The Bear had himself a real good time and left nothing edible but a jar of coffee that he must not of been able to bite open, or figure out how to get top off of.

He ripped the whole end off the storage cooler. The large blue container in the background was filled with water. He didn’t manage to get into that. The small cooler beside it was a well stocked First Aid Kit.

It was obvious that we would never be able to use that campsite again, so I gathered up everything that was burnable, and had one last campfire in the back of the cave. Tent, sleeping bags, air mattresses plastic dishes, cups and all. That was one of the HOTTEST campfires I have ever experienced!

The photos below are of another camp I found in another part of the mountains, a long way from the camp that Clay and I shared. But… still close enough to have been hit by the same Bear.

In the last few years I have found several more camps. All torn up and scattered about in the same way, with the tell-tale bite marks of a bear's teeth, in all the cans of food that had been so carefully cached away for later use, by some hiker/camper.

Now, I am always careful to spread red or black pepper on my trail for at least 200 feet, leading into, or away from, an area where I have made a food or water cache.

So far it has worked! But I know I will never have another camp as comfortable, and well stocked, as the one in the cave, that Clay and I enjoyed for so many years.

Jim Hatt
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE CAMP IN A CAVE & THE BEAR THAT ENDED IT

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Neat story Jim, thanks for sharing that! I've only had a couple (2) run-ins with bears, and know what they can do, but heck they're just hungry and you supplied the grocery store -- just a shame they don't have money to pay.

Don....
desert wanderer
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by desert wanderer »

Very interesting story! I too, have had bears rummage through one of my camps, and it looked very similar to Jim Hatt's! My sleeping bag was torn up and rendered unusable. I was given a steel box, approximately 3 feet long by 2 feet wide, and 2 feet high. It works very well as a bear deterrent. It locks tightly. I use it when I go to Idaho or into the mountains of Arizona and California. Jim, you probably won't want to disclose much info as to the location of your cave, but where approximately is it located?
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

desert wanderer

Both of the photos I posted, were of camps in the Superstition Mountains.

Jim
Tyroler
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Tyroler »

any Gold or Silver in your Area to find?