Mines in the Superstition Mountains

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

Re: Mines in the Superstition Mountains

Post by Jim Hatt »

djui5 wrote:
I called one of the computer places and they told me it sounded like the read/write heads had failed.
djui,

When they say "Sounds like" that is not a confirmed diagnosis. Nobody can tell over the phone for sure. It needs to have some diagnostics run on it to make that call.

If you haven't picked up the stone crosses yet, let me know when you will be there and bring the drive. I'll bring everything needed to run some tests on it and we'll see what's wrong with it for sure.

Don't worry about hijacking the topic, it all started innocently, and can be deleted later.

Jim
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Pharo wrote:
Is the drive even spinning up when it gets power? Can you see the drive from the CMOS?

Later,

PBiZ
Pharo

I have djui's drive on my desk here and have done some prelim. testing on it. It has me stumped at this point.
Here is some of the things I have determined. Maybe you can think of something I have overlooked.

The drive is a Seagate 300GB that reports as HDD:ST330083 1A in CMOS.
It spins great when powered up.
No noises other than the spinning disk, sounds smooth and normal.
When I hooked it up using an IDE to USB conversion cable and an external power supply, I get the audible response and a notification that the new USB drive is properly installed and ready for use.

I'm not getting any I/O errors.

My Virus software doesn't see anything wrong with it and it has not affected the hard drive in the laptop I use for testing "unknown" drives.

It does not show up in windows explorer or the Disk management Tool window.

The motherboard knows it's there, but it cannot communicate with it.

I did try all four jumper settings... Master, Slave, Cable Select and No Jumper.
Didn't change a thing.

The way it is acting, is just like a brand new hard drive that has not been partitioned and formatted yet, but if that were the case it should still show up in the disk Management tool window?

Sure sounds like a major I/O failure, like they told djui on the phone. But, if THAT were the case, why isn't it reporting any I/O errors???

Like I said... It's got me stumped!

You have any other thoughts, before I give it back to him?

Jim

updated at 8:52 pm
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

djui,

Pharo didn't seem to have any suggestions, so I took the drive back to Louie. You can pick it there at any time. Sorry I couldn't help you with it.

Jim
djui5
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by djui5 »

It's ok, thanks for trying!!! Guess I'm gonna have to send it off somewhere. That's gonna be expensive :shock: