PEDAL CYCLE . LAS VEGAS TO FURNACE CREEK DEATH VALLEY.

mlv
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: PEDAL CYCLE . LAS VEGAS TO FURNACE CREEK DEATH VALLEY.

Post by mlv »

The one benefit of the firs climb, will be that the temerature will drop some as you climb from 2500 ft to 5000+ feet...................but the climb out of Death Valley won't feel the same.

The first climb might be a temp. range from 100 to 85.....but the climb out of DV could be from 110 to 100.........the range is still toasty warm.
mlv

Post by mlv »

One thing you might want to do, it type into google or yahoo maps the Silverton address and then the Furnace Creek destination, and then add the aerial photography to the map, and you can view the route you will be taking, and really get a feel for the desolation of the route.

Beware tho, the maps often don't really use the most direct route...........I've noticed this when finding locations here in Las Vegas.
rbinpa

Post by rbinpa »

As you probably know Google Maps (& Google Earth) can help.
Try this link:

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&rl ... e&resnum=1

Layers can be turned on and off in maps (through the More ... tab), terrain detail is dynamic too and changes to contours at higher magnifications; and detail notations are linked to levels of magnification in both Maps and Earth (but no contours in Google Earth yet).

Enjoy,
Roger
morongobill

Post by morongobill »

Here is a link to a guy who did a 2 week bike camping trip to Death Valley coming in from a different direction.
He did his trip in April, still got plenty hot!

http://deathvalley2007.priss.org/main.php

At the bottom of the page are several other bike camping trips to one of my favorite places, the Mohave Preserve.

Morongobill
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

morongobill: Thanks for the info and since I've never seen you here before, Welcome to the site!

Don....
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

rbinpa: Welcome to the site also!

Don....
SPINNER44UK

Post by SPINNER44UK »

Thank you for all the great information you guys have given me, 1 other thing that comes to mind is,
I know about the very hot weather in this area, but is there any wind i can expect in the summer, and more important which direction does it blow from, ie, Los Vegas to Death Valley, i know in the past, cycling from LA to VEGAS,(3 times) I have had light winds in a easterly direction :D , thanks again my desert friends.
Josef keel, Newcastle, England.
Tyroler

Post by Tyroler »

Newcastle is a Beertown.Isn't it? On the Hadrian Wall
SPINNER44UK

Post by SPINNER44UK »

BEERTOWN, SURE IS, NEWCASTLE ON TYNE, BEST CITY IN UK, PLENTY TO SEE, YES WE GOT "HADRAINS WALL" GOT OUR OWN CASTLE, GOT THE LARGEST SHOPPING AREA IN THE UK,THE PEOPLE HERE ARE VERY FRIENDLY, ALWAYS ON HAND TO HELP PEOPLE IN NEED,TOP "PARTY" CAPITAL IN THE UK. THINGS ARE LITTLE CHEAPER HERE THAN DOWN SOUTH (LONDON), AND WITHIN 25 MILES OF NEWCASTLE, WE GOT DURHAM CITY AND HUNDREDS OFF MILES OFF UNSPOILT COUNTRY HILLS, LAKES,TO THE NORTH AND WEST, THEN THERE IS BONNY SCOTLAND AND EDINBURGH ONLY A COUPLE OF HOURS DRIVE.BRILLIANT ROAD /RAIL LINKS AND A FIRST CLASS AIRPORT . TO YOU PEOPLE FROM THE USA, ALWAYS WELCOME HERE. :D
SPINNER44UK

Re: PEDAL CYCLE . LAS VEGAS TO FURNACE CREEK DEATH VAL

Post by SPINNER44UK »

Hi. Yes this ride is still on, but i will be doing it in 2011 now, things beyond my control has made me put it off till next year. The only difference is i can now spend a couple more days before and after the ride in Vegas, and 3 days in Death Valley.Also i think i might have couple riders to do this trip with me. I think Pahrump will be our stop on-route, both ways.Thanks again for all the advice i had of you all, and any more information that maybe off some help to me. :D
Josef keel, Newcastle, England.