The "PERALTA STONE MAPS"

Moderator: Jim_b

djui5
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The "PERALTA STONE MAPS"

Post by djui5 »

Oh I didn't mean I found the Gold itself, just the area where it is supposed to be :) That ridge on the North side of Geronimo's head is where I ate lunch and turned around, heading back to 2nd water via the paint mine. That's a hell of a climb up to that ridge though. :shock:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

My apologies djui, I misunderstood you.

Looks like you have a firm grasp on the right area tho.
You must be working with the Snell letter, rather than what Storm had in his book?

Jim

For anyone that has no idea what djui and I are talking about.
The story about Jenkins' Lost Lode and the "Snell Letter" are in an article I wrote which can be found elsewhere on this website at:
http://www.desertusa.com/mag07/april07/lostgold.html

There is also a follow-up story, written several years later at:
http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=397
djui5

Post by djui5 »

Jim,
No I'm not looking for it. I didn't know anything about it until after I took the hike. I was telling Greg Davis about it (I think it was him) and he told me that was the area of the Lost Ledge story. I believe I then read about it in Jack Carlson's book and some more in Jack San Felice's book. It's not currently an interest of mine though and I wish you all the best in finding it. If you do and need some help with...ahem...anything let me know.

I was telling that story to show how sometimes following your instincts can lead you places you don't know about. I took some generic clues (first water to 2nd water, etc) and just went for a stroll. Something told me I should climb up there so I did. I have similar stories with the Silverlock and Malm area and the area where some Gold was found that is thought to be owned by the guy in Helen Corbin's book who was hygrading from the Mammoth.
lighthouse

Post by lighthouse »

Hello Jim:

Concerning the Jesuits, they established themselves throughout Europe, and therefore spoke and understood many languages. The point I made was based on pure logic... They were sent to Spanish colonies in the new world, by Spain and accompanied (in many instances) Spanish expeditions. So it seems obvious that these Jesuits had to be proficient in Spanish..... Lighthuse
lighthouse

Post by lighthouse »

Hello Jim:

Why so many stones? The stone tablets depict a map leading to somethng. In essance it is a straight forward treasure map. So why the additional Latin heart and stone crosses? The Latin heart might have been an inventory of what is at the end of that dotted line trail, but you don't need it to FIND the gold site.

That is simple to determine. Place the Latin heart into the stone tablet recess. As this ELIMINATES the last portion of the dotted line trail, only the heart stone found wth the stone tablets allows you to see the ENTIRE map route. So the Latin Stone is not neccessary in order to FIND the gold site.

Here is an interesting sidebar... IF the Latin heart is some type of inventory, then what is at the end of the dotted line trail, is NOT a gold mine, but rather a depository of gold, treasure, etc.

From what I've read about the stone crosses, they seem to have no direct relationship with the tablets.

Another strange omission is there appears to be no description of the general location depicted on the stone tablets. In otherwords, you start from a KNOWN location, then travel a specific distance and direction, to where the dotted line trail begins. As such, we can only hypothesize that general location, by where the stone tablets were found.

I agree that one piece of the stone tablets maybe missing. That @ 3/4 inch diameter "Hole" in the map portion, suggests that something was designed to be "inserted" into it. I suggest this because the hole doesn't appear to be a flaw in the stone, but rather a deliberate chizeled out item... Lighthouse
lighthouse

Post by lighthouse »

Hello Jim:

I have to disagree with you about what you said, that no one will solve the puzzle by using only the Tomlinson tablets, Google Earth, or plotting out its route on a topo map...

The stone map is right in front of you. Logically the first thing you would try to do is to attempt to plot out a possible route, via a modern USGS topo map. I did just that (& I'm not saying my plot was valid), but I did show a general area where one COULD search.

It's simple Jim, you've got a map right in front of you, so USE IT! Make your own effort to try and match topo features on the stone map with USGS maps. Plot your own course and go there and have a look around.

If no one does this, then the stones are absolutely useless!.... beyond employing them as a door stop or book ends. If you've already done this and found nothing, then what does that suggest to you? You have to start somewhere, and plotting a possible route is an ideal place to begin, otherwise you will have no real idea of even where to begin to look..... Lighthouse
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

djui5 wrote: I took some generic clues (first water to 2nd water, etc) and just went for a stroll. Something told me I should climb up there so I did.
djui,

Sometimes that's all you can do. I have found more stuff by just roaming around in the mountains, following where ever my instincts lead me, than I ever did trying to follow written clues and directions.

Must be something mutual passed down through our Cherokee bloodlines that sends out looking for nothing but observing everything like that.

Jim

Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

lighthouse wrote:Hello Jim:

I have to disagree with you about what you said, that no one will solve the puzzle by using only the Tomlinson tablets, Google Earth, or plotting out its route on a topo map...

Lighthouse
I like it when people respectfully disagree with me Mike. It keeps the conversation from taking a downward spiral into an argument, and inspires more trains of thought.

I remain convinced that no one will solve the puzzle by using only the Tumlinson stone map pieces, Google Earth, or plotting out its route on a topo map.

If someone ever does, I will be the first to admit that I was wrong.

Jim
djui5

Post by djui5 »

Jim Hatt wrote:
Must be something mutual passed down through our Cherokee bloodlines that sends out looking for nothing but observing everything like that.

Jim

:mrgreen:
lighthouse

Post by lighthouse »

STONE TABLETS - 1847/LETTERS

1847 in the heart shaped depression is very distantive, infact it looks modern in appearance. To check this out I went on the net to obtain samples of HAND WRITTEN new world era Spanish/Mexican documents from the 1700/1800s. I found @ 22 examples , and here is the results:

#1 - Normally it was a single angled line. Some contained a serif on top, but almost none had a horizontal baseline.

#8 - Overall the was little differences between hand written versus modern type set #8's.

#4 - Almost all vintage written #4s had an open top. A few had the left side angled over to, but not touching the right side vertical line. These styles were often used to differentiate a #4 from a # 9.

#7 - Written versus type set versions were almost identical.

The noticable differences of written #1 and #4 and that of modern fonts, suggests that 1847 was copied from a type set source. This is because the tablet 1847 layout is inconsistant with hand written numbers from the 1700/1800 period.

As for the letters on stone tablets, they are all san-serif types. Numbers and letters closely match Tahoma and Verdana fonts.

The chiseled numbers and letters do not portray a typical hand written script, but rather that "copied" from a type set source, such as newspapers, magazines and so on.

Chiseling hand written characters, with all of their flourishes, would be very difficult to reproduce in stone. Therefore simplier "block type" san-serif characters would be easier to carve out. This is apparently just what was done on the stone tablets, but the style of 1847 suggests they came from a more modern source reference, rather than the 1700/1800 era..... Lighthouse