Walking Through the desert

Moderator: Jim_b

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Walking Through the desert

Post by yuccahead »

terrapinstation wrote:Gregory makes a quality pack as well,I was going to get one but the Ospry pack fit me better.
Fit is everything when it comes to packs. I'm using an Osprey Atmos 65. It's a pretty small pack, but for 2-3 nighters, which is usually all I have time for anyway, it's works great. I usually plan backpack trips after a storm to avoid hauling water. I could no more haul a 70 lbs. pack to places I go than the man in the moon, I admire anyone that can though.
TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by TradClimber »

yuccahead wrote:
I could no more haul a 70 lbs. pack to places I go than the man in the moon, I admire anyone that can though.
yh - Thank you.

My normal hiking posture with a fully loaded (50%+ of my body weight) Denali Pro 105 pack.
TC
terrapinstation

Post by terrapinstation »

yuccahead wrote: I could no more haul a 70 lbs. pack to places I go than the man in the moon, I admire anyone that can though.
[/quote]
AMEN Yuccahead,same here.When I was in my 20-30's I could haul 100lbs around...but not today.
Mind you that was along established trails...not overland over boulders and rock feilds.
I sincerlly hope the route is posted when it is established what way to go. I could provide support along old 66 thru California from the Arizona border up to Cental Cal. I hang out in that part of the desert quite a bit.
The east Mojave in springtime you are never more than 10 miles from water,IF you know where to look.
And the desert is painted in carpets of beautyful hues of purple and gold wildflowers. My favorite time of year.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Terrapin...

I was born in the desert and raised in the lion's den. Once lit out of Reno trailed by 20 hounds. Didnt get to sleep that night till the morning came around

Hiking the Mojave in spring is heaven. Over time, I have learned to elininate all but the essentials. 30 -40 lbs max on a 2-3 day. Them water filters really help cut down on the weight. Have you hiked the PCT up the headwaters of the Mojave River in Deep Creek?
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Deep Creek on the PCT is a fun place! I have hung out there many a times.

TC
terrapinstation

Post by terrapinstation »

Sandman wrote:Terrapin...

I was born in the desert and raised in the lion's den. Once lit out of Reno trailed by 20 hounds. Didnt get to sleep that night till the morning came around

Hiking the Mojave in spring is heaven. Over time, I have learned to elininate all but the essentials. 30 -40 lbs max on a 2-3 day. Them water filters really help cut down on the weight. Have you hiked the PCT up the headwaters of the Mojave River in Deep Creek?
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/r ... deepcreek/
Yes,if this is the place,But have not been there in years,at least 10. If I recall lastime there the gangs got to the area and had the rocks all tagged :x ,really got to wonder a persons inteligence level going that far up a hill to destroy somthing useful to everyone that goes there. Hopefully that has been mended by the good people out there who DO give a damn about our home.
What's up with the GD references? I am not despite my usename. My kids call my truck the terrapin flyer cause its geared real low and slow (like a terrapin)and takes them to the end of the road and then some..LOL So I just picked Terrapinstation when I created my username,cause I was researching old desert railroad stations and ghost towns to go see and photo document. A hobby of mine.Kind of a history buff.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

TerraPerson wrote:
Yes,if this is the place,But have not been there in years,at least 10. If I recall lastime there the gangs got to the area and had the rocks all tagged,...
I've been enjoying Deep Creek Hot Springs for nearly fourty years. I have never seen any gangs or recollect any taggings of the rocks at the hot springs.

All photos are by TradClimber at the Deep Creek Hot Springs by the PCT.
Last edited by TradClimber on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

"Cool Hand Sandman" wrote:
I was born in the desert and raised in the lion's den. Once lit out of Reno trailed by 20 hounds. Didn't get to sleep that night till the morning came around
That is great! Very funny.
Thanks for sharing your past.

DeadHead
TradClimber