Black Eagle Mountain Rd JTNP

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Black Eagle Mountain Rd JTNP

Post by Jim_b »

The Black Eagle Mountain road is in good shape, I went to Barry Storm's Jade mine on the Wednesday and they have fixed the road through the wash and filled in a lot of the holes. Still 4W only.

Does anyone now if there was a water source at that mine? This foundation was there, looks like they had a flush toilet there.

Jim Hatt

Re: Black Eagle Mountain Rd JTNP

Post by Jim Hatt »

Jim_b

Did you look that concrete over real good to see if anyone put their initials and/or a date in it when it was poured?

I can't imagine Barry S. missing an opportunity immortalize himself like that! :D
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Hey! I was just there last month.

The road did seem really easy, especially after reading the warnings about Big Wash and all that. I kept looking for the difficult parts, but they never came up.

I don't recall seeing anything written in the slabs. My maps don't show any natural springs or any wells, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there...

Lee
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Jim,

are you sure that is a foundation? It looks new, like a BLM standard pour for sealing a mine shaft. Might even be pre-cast. Holes might be to test for gas, allow ventilation, check for water table, allow bats in and out, or permit mineral claimants "access" for drilling.

It sure looks like it is sitting on a waste pile from a shaft.

my 2 cents,

Sycamore
Jim_b

Post by Jim_b »

Here is a closeup, looks like a toilet

TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Yep, by all indications, a toilet. Probably wasn't of the bidet type.

TradClimber
Sycamore

Post by Sycamore »

Yep, looks like a toilet. Long way to haul flushing water. They may have been flushing into an old shaft. Must have given up on the minerals, maybe they had already patented it.

"People do the darndest things!"

Sycamore
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

Could be an oil well in the making.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

"They may have been flushing into an old shaft."

I seem to recall a pipe heading down to the wash below. The foundation sure does appear to be sitting on a tailing pile, most likely from the adit up above.

"Long way to haul flushing water."

There is still part of a well head very close to the foundation. You can kind of see it in the foreground this photo.

Lee
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Evidence of a flush toilet would indicate a female presence at the old mine cabin. It's been my experience that when girls see that ol outhouse, many of them are ready to head back to town.

Many remote cabin in the desert had water hauled in. My original dwelling in the desert has a flusher supplied with a 350 gallon water tank up on the hill. Before I sunk the well, we hauled water in with 55 gallon drums and gravity flowed the water in from the hill above. That place burned in the Willow Fire of 99. Flush toilets were common in dwellings from the 1920s on. I'm betting the septic system is an old drum shot full of holes and buried