West Slammed By Viscious Storms

Plays In The Dirt

West Slammed By Viscious Storms

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

So how is everyone faring the storms in southern California? I spoke to my Mom and she said that the drains on the pool deck can't handle all the water so my brother sandbagged in front of the den to keep the water out. How are those in the desert areas doing, any flash flooding?

Here's a recent story on the latest storm: http://www.weather.com/newscenter/stormwatch/

And here's a current radar map of the storm, it's severity and location: http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php This was posted on another forum.

Would love to hear your individual stories.
Sandman

Re: West Slammed By Viscious Storms

Post by Sandman »

I slid into port with the first storm after spending 16 days fishing the tropical Eastern Pacific. Things are really muddy up here with the snowlevel hanging on the hills above. We've had a couple of flurries but nothing has stuck yet. At least we have plenty of fresh shashimi and ahi steaks to eat! Good luck up in Nevada. Be safe
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

The wind and the rain turned the ground into mud, and then the snow came. Big wet flakes, melting into the muddy earth until the skies overwhemed the earth with it's onslaught. The world turned white as the darkness enveloped the sky. No stars could be seen, just a swirling mass of big wet snowflakes that smothered the cold wet mud. The silence was deafening as the world grew quiet except for the wind wrapping around the eaves of the cabin. The dull muted roar of fire within the woodstove accentuated the smoky sweet smell of of the juniper as my eyes grew heavy. I watched the snowflakes hit the window and melt as I enjoyed the warmth, wrapping my hands around a warm mug of sleepy time tea. The silence lulled me into one of the most serene and peaceful sleeps I've had in quite some time. All the dogs and cats surround us, taking shelter and refuge from the cold darkness. The world grows silent except for the occasional wisper of the snow filled wind wrapping around the eaves as I drift away into dreamland.........I awoke several hours later to a canopy of countless stars and the moon illuminating the surreal landscape enveloped in white. The air was silent as the morning stars burned the brightness of their energy across the skies at the speed of light to illuminate that very moment in time. I opened the door to the woodstove and stoked the embers of the fire back to life. It was time to go back down to town and leave the surreal landscape surrounding my cabin as I have to go to work. As I drive down the hill heading for town, I wonder just how much will melt away before I return. It's no matter. When your work is your passion in life, it's not a job. It's more like what I do and I often wonder what the day will bring. The warmth of hot coffee provides comfort as I reflect on the beautiful boulder filled landscape of these desert mountains. I begin my day in awe of mother nature and the grand scenario of life in such a wild and natural setting.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

That's cool, thanks for that.
Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Pharo »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:That's cool, thanks for that.
It was just nasty for all PITD, That's all there really is to say. Any off roader knew better than to try to off road during this mess. It was better to stay home and watch the storm from our front porch and live to off road another day, over getting out in that mess and ending up wrenching on our equipment (or worse) for the next few months. Even with today’s modern equipment, nature still has the upper hand sometimes. This week was one of those times!

I was just glad my truck could get me to and from work all week long. It was a white knuckler drive at times going over the two passes between Kingman and Laughing, But Blue Magic (my 2005 Ford F150 4X4) did the job. Even with the highway looking more like a river then a road. On two days, I couldn’t even see the lines in the road. Trying to go off road on days like this where a no brainer. It was just get home and enjoy the fireplace.

But I’m actually glad we got the rain (and snow in the high country), as we needed it.

Later,
PBiZ
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

It's messy around here but not impassable. My 4x4 does well but I know it's limitations. I keep it stocked with emergency supplies year round. A little technique and common sense go a long way. Here are some pictures taken on 1/23/10 by a hiker going to the hot springs that are up the road.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jobeflickr/

It seems like every year I read about people who die after venturing into the back country. A few years back a young woman died of hypothermia after becoming lost with her boyfriend less than 1/4 mile from my neighbor's cabin. Her boyfriend would have died too had he not been screaming for help in the early morning pre dawn darkness.

I find the wild weather very inspirational. Thanks for initiating the thread PITD. I hope you are staying a bit warmer this winter. Are you still up in Eureka?
Arena
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Arena »

I was disappointed by the storms. They weren't that bad. I went out in the rain and wind. It was nothing.

Sandman, which mountains are you in?
marks231
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by marks231 »

Great writing Sandman,

I know that can be rough, I'm in upper Michigan and we are supposed to have a high of 7 degree's Fri.(tomorrow).
We just got another 7 inches yesterday, last winter was 14 feet of snow and was not a record of more than a few years, enjoy the coffee and the beauty of it.

Mark
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Our weather down here is nothing compared to the wind chill and cold you experience up there! There is some great fishing and hunting to be found up there in your neck of the woods. I've caught the Northern Pike but not the Muskie yet. You guys really know how to deal with the weather. Winter is not a season, it's an occupation in Upper Michigan. Welcome to DUSA
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Arena, the pictures were taken on the north side of the San Bernardino Mountains where they transition into the Mojave desert. Deep Creek is the headwaters of the Mojave River.