anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Q&A'S - COMPLAINTS - NO SPECIFIC TOPIC DISCUSSIONS

Post by djui5 »

Is it a Garmin? If not get one. :mrgreen:
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I have a Garmin and a Magellan, and I've seen them both do it. They hit the same satellites, and have the same blind spots.
javaone

Post by javaone »

I have a Magellan, about 9yrs old. It tracks well, but my landmarks all always off and not by a little bit.
I've been looking at a Garmin or a Delorme.
pjx

Post by pjx »

Well I appreciate the Tip about Jesse. Funny as I was reading there seem to be quite a few parallels. I will defiantly take some precautions to leave information with my wife on where I am planning to go. I think I will bring a bear spray too. It is just sad that they could find no trace. I'll take any tips I can get. To avoid disappearing. I find it a little frightening that in the article the police mentioned two armed prospectors, and said Jesse should have brought protection with him.

Paul
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

pjx,

Anyone who has spent a lot of time out in the mountains will tell you. "The most dangerous animal out there, is the one that walks on two legs".

"If someone is working the Lost Dutchman Mine... and it is within the boundaries of the Superstition Wilderness Area. They are breaking the law, and they are making lots of money while they are doing it. You interrupt them, and their main goal is going to be to keep you quiet"
~Jim Hatt~
historybuff

Post by historybuff »

"found" this pic of a compass circa 1650
thought you all would like to see.Image
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Welcome to the Forums historybuff, and thanks for sharing the photo.
I didn't know a compass like that existed way back then!
Jim
djui5

Post by djui5 »

pjx wrote:I find it a little frightening that in the article the police mentioned two armed prospectors,
Paul
I found this quite funny actually. "Prospecting" is illegal in the Wilderness, so if they saw real prospectors and didn't arrest them, well I'll be damned.

A LOT of people who hike back there are armed. It's quite common. I highly doubt they were "prospectors".
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Actually djui, Prospecting is legal within the Superstition Wilderness Area.

Section 4.d.2 of the Wilderness Act says:

"Nothing in this Act shall prevent within national forest wilderness areas any activity, including prospecting, for the purpose of gathering information about mineral or other resources, if such activity is carried on in a manner compatible with the preservation of the wilderness environment".

The entire Wilderness Act is posted at: http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=401

MINING is illegal unless you are granted a Special Exemption, as was the case with the Milk Ranch Claims, which remained to be valid mining claims within the Superstition Wilderness Area, right up until 2003.

See story below
MYTHS AND TRUTHS about Mining in a Wilderness Area
http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=442
steveevh5150

Post by steveevh5150 »

Hey Jim,

What would be the three best books in reading about the LDM? I know Sims Ely's book would be one of the top, but any other recommendations? Thanks,
Steve