Minnesota Man Lost & Found - Peter's Mesa - 2010

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Colorado Man "Goes Missing" in the Superstition Mountains!

Post by silent hunter »

That is not good!!I am going to the trail head to see if it is still there.It was there when i went in.And was still there when i came out.Jim did you notice that car parked there when you went in?Its a kia with a paper plate.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

There was one vehicle there when I came out. I thought it was a small dark blue car, but it could have been a black KIA. I didn't look close.

With all the traffic that has been going back in there lately, I didn't pay as close attention as I usually do. On my way in Thur. I passed a man and woman hiking in with big backpacks. They were both Japanese, and maybe in their late 20's. They looked like they intended to stay a few days by the size of their packs. It is probably their car.
SuperstitionGuy

Post by SuperstitionGuy »

I would assume that they are planning to come out tomorrow afternoon. Lets hope that they are alright and know what they are doing. I am planning on going in Monday morning if I find a companion with the proper transportation to get us from 88 to the JF trailhead. I can then check to see if the vehicle is still there. I left a post on the hikearizona.com website asking for volunteers and I have a man from SSAR that may assist me as well. I will update you all when I can confirm that I have a ride and companion to go in with.

It might be safer considering the rains we have been having if there are three of us that go in on Monday.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

The car was gone from the tortilla park lot.
SuperstitionGuy

With the past, current and predicted rains I will not be searching Monday. Standing down till the weather is more favorable for that off trail trek up Fish Creek Canyon.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

SuperstitionGuy wrote:
Jim Hatt wrote:Hi Owen,

There was only one car parked at the trailhead when I came out this evening. It was a small dark blue car with nobody in it.

Do you know anything about the helicopters flying around the area after dark last night?

Jim
Yes, they were searching for the overdue backpacker that I mentioned in the post that I made earlier. I suspect that they found him as both his and her vehicle were gone and there were no MCSO vehicles at the parking lot when you left. I will call this couple tomorrow evening unless they call me first as I did ask the wife to let me know what happened. I know their names and have their telephone number but can't publish it on a website because of the confidentially of searches. Also there has been no news about this search therefore I believe it has already been completed successfully.
Owen,

Did you ever get touch with the people and get the rest of the story? You sort of left us all hanging here. I have moved the info about this second missing hiker to it's own thread, and out of the Jesse Capen discussion.

I need a person's name for the title, and a conclusion for the episode, or I am going to have to sweep it all under the rug.

Thanks

Jim
SuperstitionGuy

Re: Unknown Missing Hiker - 2010

All right, I can now tell you all a little bit more about the search for that solo backpacker. He came off of Peters Mesa and missed the trail and began to hike down (north) Peters Canyon. When he realized his mistake he retreated but still missed the trail crossing where the trail came down from Peters Mesa.

At some point he began to climb up (east) what he referred to as Horse Mesa and then as it began to get dark (Thursday evening) he decided it was safer to stop traveling and bed down for the night. Shortly after he got into his sleeping bag the two Maricopa County Sheriff helicopters that were searching for him arrived and he signaled to them with his flashlight, got picked up and I assume was dropped off at the parking lot by highway 88 where his wife was and their two cars were.

Had he connected to Peters trail as he came off Peters Mesa he most likely would have met Dennis Mack and I who were waiting at the saddle overlooking Peters Canyon. He would rather that we not publish his name but he is a retired fellow from Minnesota and does hike and backpack quite a bit. I invited him to log on to hikearizona.com for more information about trips in Arizona and did invite him to attend the Superstition Search and Rescue meeting in March.

Jim give me a phone call when you can.

Owen
Jim Hatt

Re: Minnesota Man Lost & Found - Peter's Mesa - 2010

Post by Jim Hatt »

Thanks Owen!