cibola / zuni indians

Moderator: Jim_b

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

cibola / zuni indians

Post by silent hunter »

I spent five years following the trail to Kolhu / wala:wa or zuni heaven.I wasn't going to bring it up.Is this something we can talk about on here.It ties in to the spanish search for the lost cities of gold.I followed the bare foot trail behind those indians from a small res located on the arizona side of the az new mexico border.From there i followed them to witch wells,to the salt lake,to the underground lake.then from there across the little colorado passed north of st. johns az to a valley called concho valley and then ending the trip on a hill top looking 360 in all directions over the badland area.At the top of the hill was a opening or a crack in the earth.Inside the whole the floor was covered in prayer sticks with turquoise and nuggets of gold, coral and silver tied to them.They were made in shapes of bows, stars ,spears, shapes of animals.Under the newer ones were older ones and then as i sifted the floor there was layers were they have been throwing these sticks into this crack.Along the trail in witch wells was a canyon that looked liked someone dug this valley out of sand stone.The walls were covered in writtings and caves had been dug into the sand stone. Tunnels running everywhere this small tear in the earth was 50' across and 1/8 mile long in the middle of sand dunes and cedar trees so thick you could lose your own hand.Does anyone else no of the zuni trek.It is known as the barefoot trail.They make the trip every four years to a mountain.
Jim Hatt

Re: cibola / zuni indians

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter,

You are in the right forum for this! I can imagine Roy salivating over this one already.

I don't suppose... maybe...? You have some photos? I am sure he is going to ask.

Jim
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Yes jim i do.Ill have to find a few to post on here.Others may have to be seen hand to hand.Ill post them as the topic calls for them.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Roy is up in the Dakota Country right now, but I think he will take my word that I saw them. (Other than anything you feel comfortable posting).

Thanks, Nice Find!

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Really interesting thread! I love hearing stories like this - it's what adventure and exploration are all about. Sometimes I feel like I was born 500 years too late.

Jim's right that Oro and Beth oughta be salivating any minute now :)

Hope to hear more.
Paul
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Hola amigos,

This is a fascinating subject for sure, I look forward to reading more. I have heard of the "barefoot path" but that is the limit of what I know about it - I had the impression it was something more 'mythical' than real. Coronado didn't find any gold of Cibola, but did write that he was convinced the people were hiding their gold and jewels from the Spanish. I would like to see your photos too - so thank you in advance,
Roy
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Everyone thank you for your interest in this subject.It was one of my first finds and it was 15 years ago.I am going to my house in pinetop to get some photos of the hikethis week end.Ill get some scanned into my system there are all old school photos .The trail is a real journey that a small band still make in barefeet,The rest, drive there cars to the base of this hill and hike to the top for the ceromony,But it was this small band called the old ones that i followed.They still took the journey in bare feet and stoped at all the old locations.The first stop ill talk about after i get the photos is the tear in the earth(my name for the place)It is located neer a small town called witch wells.It is a place in a sandy desert that has opened up and into a mini canyon cut into red sandstone on flat land in thick sand and cedar trees.I will get the photos this week end and continue on with the trail from zuni to the the salt mother or known to the zuni as Ma'l Okyattsik'i a hidden salt lake in the middle of the badlands and also next to the salt lake a small volcano filled with cold fresh water.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Silent Hunter - I can't wait to see and hear more! This is the sort of thing many of us live for!

Looking forward to your story
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Thank you for your interest cub fan and Jim for giving me a place to brag, if i may.There was a time i thought that i was the only person out there interested in this type of hunting.If there is a scale 1-10 I am a ten searcher.My family and friends left me to search alone so alone i have searched a life time,and treasures i have.What i dont have are people to share with what i have discovered.Again thank you all and i hope i can excite you all as much as you all excite me.After this journey i will tell another of a spanish smellter and a mine i found on military base in utah called dugway proving grounds. I found it when i was 16 i grew up on that base.The spanish left alot of writtings in that area,but ill leave that for another thread.I wish i had the photo's here in town.I will go to my house in pine top and get them for sure this week end and i will get on with the journey.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

silent hunter wrote:If there is a scale 1-10 I am a ten searcher
silent hunter,

I have known a couple of "Ten Searchers" in my time.
Would you be offended... if I waited to call you a "Cowboy", until I've seen you ride? :D

Jim

P.S. Do I still get a helicopter ride after that one? :lol: