My Father and the LDM

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim Hatt

Re: My Father and the LDM

Post by Jim Hatt »

RockyFrisco wrote:What if we get a party of about six or eight of us and comb the area for a few days?

Rocky,

My experience with organizing a party of 6 or 8 people to go into the mnts, is that by the end of the first day, you are down to a party of 2 or 3. By the 3rd day you are all alone, and nobody wants to go back again. It automatic not planned.

That's what makes Dutch-Hunting a solitary thing.

Jim
RockyFrisco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: My Father and the LDM

Post by RockyFrisco »

I'll bet there are some people on this set of fora that would not flake out so easily. I would still like to try it some day.

To update a previous post. I was misinformed about the chunk of ore I found by the old hospital in Cripple Creek. It occurred to me today that calaverite sounds a lot like Calaveras, so I did a search. Whatever it is I have, it's not calaverite. After the old (90 or so) man at the assay office had told me it was calaverite, I said, "Thanks." It now appears that I should have said, "Pull the other one; it's got bells on." He told me calaverite was 80% gold and 20% silver. The mineral site says it's roughly 45% gold and 55% tellurium. The picture of calaverite on that site doesn't look anything like what I have. The specimen is lost somewhere in my house, in a round green plastic snuff container. Probably easier to find the LDM than anything in this house. It will turn up when I'm looking for something else. I still think it's pretty rich; pyrites aren't that heavy and I'm pretty good at recognizing them.

Can't wait for the weather to turn here. I have located two friends who have likely treasure sites on their land, one near Skiatook and one near Tahlequah. They have found rocks with hearts and turkey-tracks deeply incised into them. I told them to not move them, since they might point at something. One of the main things I learned from Bob Brewer's accounts is that those old broken pieces of plowshares and guns I found were probably not just junk. I never suspected that they might have been placed where they were because they could be found with a good compass. I just never thought of a compass as a metal-detector.

One of the battle sites north of Tulsa was vandalized this last week. There was a really big hole right in the middle of the old abandoned road that appeared a couple of days ago in the morning that was not there the night before. When the property owner put the dirt back in the hole, it only half-filled it. Somebody took out something big during the night. Guess we'll never know what.

-Rock