New National Monument proposals

Jim Hatt

Re: New National Monument proposals

Post by Jim Hatt »

Excellent Brew!!! Now that's the way it should be done. Why didn't you download them and post them in their own topics, so we can refer to them as necessary?

After you do that, I will Tag them as Announcements, so they will always be at the top of the index page, and easy to find.

They are Public Domain Documents and there is no problem with Copyright issues.

Jim
Brew

Post by Brew »

Jim Hatt wrote:Excellent Brew!!! Now that's the way it should be done. Why didn't you download them and post them in their own topics, so we can refer to them as necessary?
Jim
Because they are large files. It's easier to search through them on the web site. That's why I included the links to them.

Brew
Last edited by Brew on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brew

Post by Brew »

The BLM must also try to work with state and local governments on land use decisions:

43 U.S.C. 1712 Land Use Plans
Federal Land Policy and Management Act (FLPMA)
(Directs the Bureau of Land Management)
(c) Criteria for development and revision
In the development and revision of land use plans, the Secretary shall -
(9) to the extent consistent with the laws governing the administration of the public lands, coordinate the land use inventory, planning, and management activities of or for such lands with the land use planning and management programs of other Federal departments and agencies and of the States and local governments within which the lands are located, including, but not limited to, the statewide outdoor recreation plans developed under the Act of September 3, 1964 (78 Stat. 897), as amended [16 U.S.C. 460l-4 et seq.], and of or for Indian tribes by, among other things, considering the policies of approved State and tribal land resource management programs.

Brew
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Looks like the Senate rejected a bill to prevent new NM's in Utah.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_14473112?IADID ... sltrib.com
MMM
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by MMM »

Ok, the bLM shares control along with other branches of the Govt. However, this does not change the fact that this action is being pushed down the throats of the public with ZERO input by the public. I really could care less who manages what, by Obama making these areas natiuonal Monuments he is side steping the normal legal process. Something no one is wiling to discuss.

Mike
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

spiny wrote:

The Antiquities Act authorizes the President to establish national monuments on federal lands.
MMM, I can only refer you to spiny's quote above. The president needs no other approval or Congressional vote to designate a National Monument. His signature makes it happen. There's not much to discuss.
There has hardly been a National Park or Monument that wasn't borne out of some opposition, controversy and protest. But all of that dies away over the decades and the country has another bit of land saved from developement.
MMM

Post by MMM »

Just because he can make the monuments with a simple signiture, does it make it right? Maybe he should come out and publicly say his intentions. What would happen if another president would come along and revoke all the monuments made? I am willing to bet just about every enviro group would sue to stop it. To me, this kind of power must be stoped.

Mike
spiny

Post by spiny »

As far as support for national monument designations, I know that at least one (Otero Mesa) has the support of New Mexico's governor and other elected officials, not to mention a large segment of the public.
MMM

Post by MMM »

Has anyne bothered to ASK the people around these proposed monuments what they think? I do not trust politicians.

Mike
spiny

Post by spiny »

You are wise not to trust politicians, but as far as local support for wilderness, you could ask one of these "Friends of the .... Wilderness" organizations.