The big ring west of Dead Horse Point.

Moderator: Jim_b

RockyFrisco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

The big ring west of Dead Horse Point.

Post by RockyFrisco »

Wondering if anybody here is familiar with the big ring (almost 2 miles across) WSW of Dead Horse point, about 10.4 miles from the point. It's quite prominent from Google Earth. It's a very odd feature and it piques my curiosity. It doesn't look volcanic, but it might be meteoric or just a coincidence.

-Rock
Mike C.

Re: The big ring west of Dead Horse Point.

Post by Mike C. »

You may be referring to Upheaval Dome also known as Salt Dome, which has recently believed to have been created by a major meteorite impact. I have not been there, but I understand it is large, colorful, and prominent! Have fun Mike C. Brea Ca.
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

Thanks Mike! I have been matching up features in Google Earth and MapQuest to try to pinpoint the location. MapQuest has a feature called "Upheaval" that's a few miles from the ring location, but that could easily be an error. I wonder if there's a site online where the drivable trails are shown.

-Rock
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

RockyFrisco wrote:Thanks Mike! I have been matching up features in Google Earth and MapQuest to try to pinpoint the location. MapQuest has a feature called "Upheaval" that's a few miles from the ring location, but that could easily be an error. I wonder if there's a site online where the drivable trails are shown.

-Rock
There are several land features named after Upheaval Dome. There's Upheaval Bottom on the Green River and Upheaval Canyon that connects the river to the crater. It's all in Canyonlands NP so any map of the park would show you the roads. I've hiked the circumference and into Upheaval Dome and it's not recognizable as an impact crater from the ground, at least not in the way that Meteor Crater in Ariz. is.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

YH, thanks!! That's everything I need to know. Great help!!

-Rock
RockyFrisco

Post by RockyFrisco »

I made an overlay map of the Google Earth image of the feature mentioned in this thread with the PDF map Yuccahead mentioned laid over it. I greyed out the GE image slightly, so the overlay would be more visible. Then I scanned the results. In case this might be useful or interesting to anybody here, I have temporarily posted the image to my website so it can be easily right-clicked and grabbed. The image is here:

http://www.rockyfrisco.com/fullringmap.jpg

I will be pulling this is a week or so, since it's a big file. If anybody looks for it after it's down, email me or contact me here and I'll put it back up.